Homemade chocolate chip cookie dough cups with no bake, edible cookie dough! The perfect snack to keep on hand in your freezer.
What started as a simple idea for a sponsored Instagram post has quickly grown into one of my favorite homemade chocolates ever (really – ever!). I’ve only got a few of these chocolate chip cookie dough cups left in my freezer, and I’m already feeling anxious about their absence from my life. Another batch is in order asap! If you are a fan of chocolate, candies, salt, and/or cookie dough, you are going to be blown away by these. And profusely happy that one batch makes so many!
Edible chocolate chip cookie dough recipe
Step 1 is to make an eggless edible chocolate chip cookie dough. All you need to do is heat treat some regular all purpose flour (instructions below!) and make a dough without eggs. It is so easy and endlessly adaptable based on what type of dough you want (e.g., substitute white chocolate chips or toffee chips for chocolate, fold in peanut butter, add sprinkles, etc.).
No bake chocolate chip cookie dough cups
Everyone loves a no bake dessert! These chocolate chip cookie dough bites begin with melted chocolate pushed along the sides of mini muffin liners. Next, add a piece of your favorite thin (this is key!) cookies — I used pieces of Brownie Brittle’s new chocolate chip blondies which were perfect in this application because they are super thin and crispy! Trust me, you want that crunch.
Set these in the freezer to solidify, then top with your homemade chocolate chip cookie dough!
Last step is to cover with more melted chocolate and sprinkle with a generous amount of sea salt (this brand is my favorite!).
Let them sit out at room temperature for a half hour or so before serving, but these cuties can be left on the counter to snack on all week long (or realistically, all day — they disappear quickly!).
How far in advance can you make chocolate chip cookie dough cups?
These taste just as good on day 1 as they do two weeks later! Just store leftovers in an airtight container in your freezer and remove as needed.
If you make these Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cups, please let me know by leaving a review below!
Looking for more chocolate chip desserts? Check out some of my favorites below:
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cups
- Mini muffin tin
To create edible cookie dough:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour heat treated (*see note below)
- 1 stick unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
For the chocolate cups
- 2 12 oz bags semi sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 bag Brownie Brittle chocolate chip blondies
- Maldon sea salt for topping
- Place 1 bag chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl, then heat in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until completely melted and smooth.
- Line a mini muffin pan with muffin liners. Take 1 heaping tablespoon of melted chocolate and pour it into prepared muffin tin. Use a small spoon to push chocolate up the sides of the muffin liner.
- Break Brownie Brittle into small pieces, then place one piece on top of melted chocolate in each muffin tin. Place in freezer to cool while you make cookie dough.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla until very smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Add flour, then mix slowly until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Remove cups from freezer, then place 1 tsp of cookie dough in each cup. If you have leftover melted chocolate, use that first, otherwise, melt second bag of chocolate chips according to directions above, then place enough melted chocolate on top to completely fill muffin liners. Sprinkle each with a pinch of maldon sea salt. Return to freezer for 2 hours, or until set.