Homemade flaky af biscuits with white cheddar, sage, and black pepper. Drizzle generously with honey and rye — absolute heaven!
- 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, (very cold, diced)
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage, (chopped)
- ½ cup white cheddar, (grated)
- 1 cup buttermilk, (very cold)
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, (melted)
- 1 Tbsp rye, (such as Michter’s, or other dark spirit)
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp maldon sea salt
- Honey, (for serving)
- Room temperature butter, (for serving)
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Use a pastry cutter to cut in butter until pea-sized pieces form.
- Pour in chopped sage, grated cheddar, and buttermilk, mixing just until combined. Pour out onto a lightly floured surface and gently pat into a rectangle about 1” tall.
- Use a bench scraper to cut the dough into 4 equal rectangles, then carefully stack them on top of each other. Use a lightly floured rolling pin to gently roll out into a 1” tall square (the shape isn’t as important as keeping the height!). Cut into 12 biscuits, then carefully transfer to prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving about 2” between each. Place biscuits in freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Combine melted butter in a small bowl with Michter’s rye, then brush tops of biscuits. Sprinkle each biscuit with freshly ground black pepper and a few maldon sea salt flakes.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Serve with honey and butter.
Nutrition facts calculated without honey and butter for serving (optional).
- Serving Size: 1 biscuit
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 1.1g
- Sodium: 570mg
- Fat: 17.5g
- Saturated Fat: 10.9g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 5.7g
- Cholesterol: 46mg
Keywords: how to make biscuits, flaky biscuits, homemade biscuits, southern biscuits, how to bake biscuits, savory biscuits