Chocolate chip monkey bread muffins are decadent and so much fun to make. Don’t forget the icing!
For the monkey bread
- 1 ⅓ cups warm water
- ½ cup (1 stick) plus 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, (melted)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3 ¼ cups all-purpose or white pastry flour
- 2 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cups dark brown sugar
- 2 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 ¼ cups mini chocolate chips
For the glaze
- ¾ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
To make the monkey bread:
- Combine water, 2 Tbsp butter, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl, then whisk to combine. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with hook attachment.
- With mixer on low, slowly drizzle in yeast mixture. When most of the flour is incorporated, increase speed to medium-high. Scrape down the sides, the mix for about 6 minutes, or until dough is extremely smooth and shiny. Use nonstick butter spray to coat the inside of a large mixing bowl. Transfer dough to prepared bowl, then cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 1 hour.
- While dough is rising, make chocolate chip topping. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and chocolate chips in a small bowl. Melt remaining stick of butter in a separate bowl.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface into a 9×13 rectangle. Use a pastry cutter or bench scraper to cut dough into 1” squares.
- Gently roll each square into a ball, then dip in the remaining ½ cup melted butter. Immediately coat dough in the chocolate chip topping, then place in lined muffin cups, pressing down a little to make room for them all and filling to the top. Let dough rest for a half hour before baking.
- When ready, bake at 350 F for 18 minutes. Let cool in tray for 5 min, then carefully transfer to a wire rack.
To make the glaze
- To make glaze, combine confectioner’s sugar, milk, and vanilla, then whisk until smooth. Add additional milk, 1 tsp at a time if you like a thinner glaze. Drizzle on top of warm monkey bread.
These muffins will keep in an airtight container for 3 days (but beware, these won’t last that long).
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 294
- Sugar: 29.2g
- Sodium: 381mg
- Fat: 10.1g
- Saturated Fat: 6.5g
- Carbohydrates: 47.9g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
Keywords: monkey bread muffins, chocolate chip monkey bread, monkey bread from scratch, what is monkey bread, homemade monkey bread