This falafel sandwich couldn’t be easier to make! It’s essentially smashed raw falafel topped with tangy yogurt sauce, greens, and veggies. Great for lunch!
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, (rinsed)
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot, (thinly sliced) or about 2 Tbsp red onion, minced
- ½ cup chopped dill, (divided)*
- ½ tsp cumin
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ – 1 cup arugula micro greens ((or any salad greens))
- ½ large avocado, (thinly sliced)
- ½ English cucumber, (sliced into ⅛” thick slices)
- 1 large heirloom tomato, (sliced into ⅛” thick slices)
- 4 slices of your favorite bread ((I use steel cut oat bread from Whole Foods))
- In a small bowl, combine chickpeas and red wine vinegar, then mash with the back of a fork until about ⅔ are mashed. Add shallot, ¼ cup dill, cumin, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper, then stir to combine. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine Greek yogurt, mint, ¼ cup dill, and lemon juice. Stir to combine, then set aside.
- Lay out for slices of bread. Spread yogurt mixture equally onto each piece. On two halves, add a thick layer of mashed chickpeas. Top with sliced avocado, cucumbers, and tomatoes, then season each half with ¼ teaspoon kosher salt or a couple pinches of maldon sea salt. Place remaining slice of bread on top, then slice in half and serve immediately.
*Feel free to use different herbs — parsley and cilantro are great options!
Do not prep sandwiches more than a half hour in advance or the bread will become soggy.
- Serving Size: 1/2 sandwich
- Calories: 502
- Sugar: 14.8g
- Sodium: 81mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrates: 77.9g
- Fiber: 22.8g
- Protein: 26.7g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
Keywords: falafel sandwich, easy falafel recipe, gluten free falafel, homemade falafel