These easy banana chocolate chip muffins are made with spelt flour and sprinkled with turbinado sugar. They are the best way to use up over ripe bananas!
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- ¾ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3 mashed overripe bananas (see tip below)
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup spelt flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cups mini chocolate chips
- Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on top before baking
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a standard muffin tin with muffin liners (tip below) and spray with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, canola or vegetable oil, bananas and eggs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, cinnamon, vanilla bean paste, and kosher salt.
- Whisk dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just barely incorporated (it’s ok to see some streaks of flour!), then carefully fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide muffin batter between prepared muffin tins fulling about 4/5 of the way to the top. Top each with a sprinkling of turbinado sugar and extra chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a skewer or cake tester inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean or with very few moist crumbs on it. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mini muffins bake in 12 minutes.
- I like to mash my bananas with a mortar and pestle for a really smooth texture.
- Time permitting, I like to alternate muffin tins and leave a space between each muffin — see above — to help ensure big muffin tops. If you can’t do this, no problem. Your muffin tops will be slightly smaller.
- Can substitute 1 tsp pure vanilla extract for vanilla bean paste.
- Can add additional chocolate chips on top of muffins before baking if you want the appearance of chocolate on top of each muffin.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 282
- Sugar: 21.2g
- Sodium: 177mg
- Fat: 13.2g
- Saturated Fat: 4.4G
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 28mg
Keywords: how to make banana muffins, chocolate, spelt flour muffins, how to bake muffins, baking with spelt flour, mini chocolate chip muffins