Israeli cheese bourekas with spinach, feta, and everything bagel seasoning wrapped in a flaky puff pastry. The perfect appetizer to snack on year round!
For the filling
- 1 cup ricotta
- ⅔ cup feta, crumbled
- ⅓ cup parmesan, grated
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry, and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the pastry
- 1 package puff pastry (SIZE), thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- sesame seeds, for topping
- everything bagel seasoning, for topping
For the filling
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, then mix until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Cut puff pastry into strips about 2″ x 4″ (or up to 4.5″).
- Place ½ cup water in a small bowl next to your work station. Place 1 Tbsp filling in center of each puff pastry, then brush two longer sides with water using your finger. Fold top of pastry down onto bottom half, enclosing the filling completely. Repeat with remaining puff pastry and filling.
- If baking immediately, brush pastries with egg wash, then sprinkle with either sesame seeds or everything bagel seasoning. Bake for 32-35 minutes, or until pastries have puffed up and are a deep golden brown. Serve immediately.
- To freeze cover bourekas completely with plastic wrap, then place in freezer BEFORE adding egg wash. When ready to bake, simply continue with egg wash, seeds on top, and add an additional 5-7 minutes cooking time, depending on size and thickness of bourekas. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 4 pieces
- Calories: 294
- Sugar: 0.8g
- Sodium: 405mg
- Fat: 20.1g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6g
- Carbohydrates: 20.7g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 8.1g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
Keywords: how to make bourekas, how to bake israeli bourekas, what is in bourekas, how do you make bourekas, frozen puff pastry, bourekas with frozen puff pastry, how to freeze bourekas, spinach and feta borek, homemade bouekas