Let me give it to you straight: over the course of my life, I have fried many things. Latkes, doughnuts, french fries, rice-cracker crusted tuna… you know, the usual. But these ricotta fritters with chocolate cara cara sauce are bar none the best. These little bites of perfection are lighter than air and can be whipped up in no time. I want to keep them for always.
Which is a pretty hard thing to do given that, almost immediately, I devoured them all.
The good news? You can eat the entire batch without feeing too weighed down! These fritters are practically weightless and eat like popcorn.
Okay, perhaps that’s a bad comparison. They’re neither crunchy nor salty, but you know how you can sit down with an oversized bowl of popcorn and before you know it the whole thing is gone?! Let’s refer to that as popcorn syndrome. Popcorn syndrome is alive and well with these ricotta fritters. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing.
So bring friends if you lack self control.
But trust me when I say, these ricotta fritters with chocolate cara cara sauce are highly addictive and worth every single calorie. Get fryin’!
Recipe only slightly adapted from Zoe Nathan’s cookbook Huckleberry, which I highly recommend you purchase or checkout from a local library. SO GOOD!
Ricotta Fritters with Chocolate Cara Cara Sauce
For ricotta fritters
- 2 large eggs separated
- ½ cup ricotta
- zest of 1 large cara cara orange
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup AP flour
- 5 tsp granulated sugar
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- confectioner’s sugar for serving
- canola or vegetable oil for frying
For chocolate cara cara dipping sauce
- 4-6 Tbsp whole milk
- ½ cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 1 tsp cara cara orange zest
To make fritters
- Heat 3″ oil in dutch oven to 375 F.
- Whisk together egg yolks, ricotta, cara cara orange zest, milk, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form, about 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add egg yolk mixture to the flour mixture, followed by butter. Stir until just combined. Gently fold in egg whites.
- Using a soup spoon, gently scoop up to 2 ½ Tbsp of batter and ease it into the hot oil using another spoon. Fry in batches until golden brown, about 5-6 minutes.
- Cool slightly on cooling rack, then dust with powdered sugar.
To make chocolate cara cara sauce
- Heat milk in a small sauce pan and bring to a gentle simmer. Pour 4 Tbsp milk over chocolate, then let sit 1 minute.
- Whisk until smooth, then add cara cara zest. If too thick, whisk in additional milk 1 Tbsp at a time.