Smoked salmon 7-layer dip
In my never ending search to find recipes that truly ‘wow,’ layered smoked salmon dip currently rests pretty damn high on the list.
To the point where I’m annoyed I didn’t come across it sooner.
It’s comfort food, but for grown ups.
I’m in this unique place professionally where I’m both trying to find my style as a recipe developer, while constantly building upon my skills as a photographer. There never seems to be enough time to turn out consistently stellar (and blog-worthy) original recipes. Not as fast as I’d like to, at least — recipe testing requires a lot of time and our fridge is only so big! I often turn to trusted resources to help fill the empty spaces and continue practicing with my camera.
Enter Bon Appetit.
Let’s talk about a dream job here for one hot second. I would actually pay them to let me work in that test kitchen.
Everything I’ve ever tried from BA — every recipe, every cooking tip — is flawless. And I’m not just saying that. If you find yourself banging your head against a wall, searching for that one perfect recipe to impress even the snobbiest critics, you cannot go wrong with Bon Appetit.
Smoked salmon with cream cheese is certainly not revolutionary, but they have taken all of my favorite parts of a traditional Sunday bagel brunch (which is a very big deal in our family) and pulled it together in, dare I say, an extremely elegant way. I use a smoked salmon spread that I can find locally, but you could certainly sub this out with any sliced smoked salmon you can find. Don’t skimp on the red onion and radishes, though! You need that sharp bite to contrast all the creaminess.
This is exactly the type of food I crave, and I know I’ll be making it again and again and again. Too early to begin menu planning for my son’s Bar Mitzvah reception? Probs not.
P.S. Westchester and Fairfield County friends — if you are not taking advantage of Mt. Kisco Smokehouse, you are missing out! In addition to their smoked fishes, they make the most incredible smoked fish spreads. They didn’t pay me to say this, I just really love their products. Otherworldly!Print
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 oz fresh goat cheese
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 lb smoked salmon spread
- 2 large radishes, (trimmed, finely chopped)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup drained capers, (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Bagel chips
- Line a 6″-diameter ring mold, 6″-diameter cake pan or springform pan, or 16oz ramekin with plastic wrap, pressing it along the bottom and up the sides. Pulse cream cheese, goat cheese, and lemon zest in a food processor until well combined and creamy.
- Press a third of smoked salmon spread into an even layer across the bottom of mold. Spread half of cream cheese mixture evenly over salmon, smoothing surface with a rubber spatula.
- Toss radishes and onion in a small bowl to combine, then scatter over cream cheese mixture and press down lightly into mixture. Top with half of remaining salmon spread, making an even layer, then scatter capers over. Spread remaining cream cheese mixture over capers and finish with a final layer of the remaining salmon. Cover dip with plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour to let dip set and flavors mold.
- Uncover dip and carefully invert onto a plate. Remove ring mold, then carefully peel away plastic wrap. Top with chives. Serve with bagel chips for spreading over.
*Recipe very slightly adapted from Bon Appetit.