Toffee Matzo Crack
Matzo crack, a toffee-like coated matzo with dark chocolate and sea salt, is a totally addictive treat!!
Servings: 12 servings
- 4 sheets of matzo fit to cover a baking sheet
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 (10 oz) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, then cover with a single layer of matzo (as many pieces as you can fit, approximately 4).
Place butter and brown sugar in a sauce pan over medium heat, then whisk until mixture comes to a boil. Once boiling, continue to whisk for 2-3 minutes over medium heat until the toffee turns silky smooth, light golden brown, and pulls away from the edges of the sauce pan. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract, then carefully stir to combine.
Quickly pour toffee on top of matzah and spread with an offset spatula, trying your best to coat all matzo. Bake for 15 minutes.
Remove baking sheet and pour entire bag of chocolate chips on top. Bake an additional 3-5 minutes. Spread chocolate in an even layer with an offset spatula. Generously sprinkle sea salt all over the top, then refrigerate until hard, about 2 hours. It will look like too much salt, but trust me - it's not! Break matzo into bite-size pieces. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container until needed.
- Make ahead: yes, matzo crack can be made up to 3 days ahead of time. Will keep in an airtight container in a refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Can I use something other than chocolate chips? You can, but note that other baking chips (peanut butter, caramel, toffee, white chocolate, etc.) melt differently. They may not spread as easily as regular chocolate chips. Give it a try and see!
- Why so much salt? When you break apart the cooled matzo crack into pieces, a lot of the salt will fall off. Gotta make sure there's enough left on there when you're finished!
Calories: 295kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 866mg | Potassium: 47mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 567IU | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg