Homemade arugula pesto is our go to summer condiment! Classic pesto gets an upgrade with the addition of peppery arugula. This creamy, garlicky sauce comes together in minutes in a food processor, and can be used endlessly on sandwiches, mixed with pasta, or used as a dipping sauce. A great condiment to brighten any dish, all summer long!
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 cups packed arugula
- ½ cup basil
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest + half a lemon juiced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ - ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
Place all ingredients except for olive oil in the bowl of a food processor fitted with blade attachment. Pulse until very finely chopped.
With machine on, slowly drizzle in olive oil, using ½ cup to begin, until smooth and emulsified. If pesto is too chunky, add remaining olive oil. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in refrigerator until needed.
- Arugula pesto will keep for up to 1 week in a refrigerator or up to 3 months in a freezer. Tip: freeze extra pesto in ice cube trays, then add to sauces or pastas in single portions as needed!
- Variations for arugula: additional basil, spinach, or kale work great
- Variations for pine nuts: walnuts, pistachios, pecans, or almonds
- Variations for parmesan: pecorino, asiago, or gruyere for a smoky, nutty flavor
Calories: 203kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 393mg | Potassium: 79mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 247IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 1mg