Warm French Lentil Salad with Crispy Bacon
This warm French Lentil Salad with dijon vinaigrette is a healthy, nutritious, and filling meal that is both cozy and warm. Creamy, yet tender green lentils are tossed with an easy dijon and balsamic vinaigrette. Add bacon, capers, and fresh herbs, then serve warm. Healthy, nutritious, and totally filling! Gluten-free.
Servings: 4 servings
For the lentils
- 1 ½ cups French green lentils
- 3 cups chicken stock, low sodium
- 3 slices bacon, cut into lardons
- 2 large scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp capers, drained
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped fresh herbs, such as tarragon, dill, chives, or parsley
- high quality extra virgin olive oil, for serving
- flaky sea salt, for serving
For the marinade
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ Tbsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Cook the lentils. Place lentils and chicken stock (or vegetable stock) in the bowl of a rice cooker. Close lid, then select quick cook setting and press start. This will take approximately 40 minutes. If there is excess stock at the end of the cook time, simply drain the lentils (they should be creamy and tender, not mushy). Meanwhile, make the marinade.
Make the Dijon vinaigrette. Combine extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, ½ tsp Kosher salt, and ¼ tsp black pepper in a small bowl, then whisk to combine. Set aside.
Cook bacon. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add thinly sliced bacon lardons, then cook until crisp, stirring often, about 4-5 minutes. Drain bacon on a paper towel lined plate.
Dress the lentils. When lentils finish cooking, transfer to a large bowl. Immediately toss with marinade until even coated.
Add remaining ingredients, then serve. Add cooked bacon, scallions, capers, and any herbs you're using, then toss to combine. Drizzle the warm salad with 1-2 tablespoons of a high quality extra virgin olive oil, then sprinkle with a generous pinch or two of flaky sea salt. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Lentil salad will keep in an airtight container in a refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- To reheat: either allow lentils to sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours before serving and eat at room temperature, or heat in a microwave safe dish for 2-3 minutes until warm throughout.
- You can absolutely eat lentil salad cold. We prefer it heated up, but you do you!
Calories: 536kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 745mg | Potassium: 1238mg | Fiber: 28g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 380IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 127mg | Iron: 9mg