Shredded Brussel Sprouts Salad
This shredded brussel sprouts salad is crunchy, creamy, cheesy, and great as an appetizer or an entrée. It features all the same flavors as the beloved Caesar salad, but mixed into shredded brussel sprouts, shaved Parmesan, and -- the best part! -- a healthy drizzle of truffle oil. Keep it vegetarian or add grilled salmon, chicken, or shrimp!
Servings: 4 servings
For the croutons
- ⅔ cup artisan bread ripped into small ¼" pieces for croutons, see note below
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
For the shredded brussel sprout salad
- 1 lb brussel sprouts
- ½ cup homemade or store bought Caesar salad dressing plus more, as wanted
- ½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- ⅓ cup shaved parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 2 tsp truffle oil
- flaky sea salt for serving
To make the shredded brussel sprout salad
Trim the ends off of all brussel sprouts, then discard any outer leaves that are discolored. Slice each sprout in half, from top to bottom, cutting through the core. Place sprouts cut side down on a cutting board, then use a sharp knife to thinly slice into ribbons. Place shredded brussel sprouts in a large bowl. See below for instructions to shred sprouts with mandoline or food processor.
Pour Caesar salad dressing and black pepper over brussel sprouts, then toss to thoroughly coat. Add shaved parmesan cheese, then toss again. If serving immediately, add croutons, toss one final time, then divide salad between plates. Otherwise, reserve croutons for just before serving.
Portion salad onto individual plates, then drizzle each with a tiny amount of truffle oil and sprinkle with a pinch of flaky sea salt. Serve immediately.
- Use any artisan bread you love: whole wheat boule, sourdough, focaccia, ciabatta, baguette. We recommend using the inside of the bread, so as not to have super crusty croutons that interfere with the texture of the salad. We're sure you can find a good use for the crust... great snack while prepping!
- To shred brussel sprouts with a food processor: use the slicing attachment on a food processor.
- To shred brussel sprouts with a mandoline: shred whole brussel sprouts individually on a madonline set to ⅛".
- Homemade caesar dressing is easy to make and so flavorful, definitely check out this recipe!
- This salad is best when freshly made. If making ahead, do not toss salad with dressing more than 1 hour before serving, and wait to add the croutons until just before eating.
- Leftover croutons can be stored in an airtight container or bag for up to 3 days.
Calories: 418kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 966mg | Potassium: 539mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 920IU | Vitamin C: 96mg | Calcium: 203mg | Iron: 3mg