Charred Radicchio Salad
Radicchio has a reputation for being extremely bitter. We cut the bitterness in this charred radicchio salad with a simple homemade balsamic vinaigrette. It's flavored with anchovy paste, lemon, and sweet honey! Top the salad with grated Grana Padano truffle cheese for a well balance vegetable side dish worthy of any entrée.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 heads radicchio quartered
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp anchovy paste or 2 small anchovies finely chopped
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- Truffle Grana Padano see note
- 2 Tbsp chives thinly sliced, or other fresh herbs, finely chopped, such as dill, parsley, chervil, or tarragon
- Flaky sea salt for serving
Make the dressing. Place balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, anchovy paste, honey, and salt in a bowl, then whisk to combine. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking the entire time, to emulsify. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Trim and clean the radicchio. Remove any outer layers that are wilted or discolored, then discard. Cut the radicchio in half, slicing through the core, then place cut side down. Slice again, either in half or in thirds depending on the size of the radicchio. You'll get either 4 or 6 wedges from each head of radicchio.
Season. Drizzle the wedges with olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper on all sides.
Cook the radicchio. Heat a grill (stove top is fine!) over medium-high heat. When hot, place radicchio on top and cook until charred and wilted, about 1-2 minutes each side.
Dress the radicchio salad. Pour the balsamic vinaigrette on top of the cooked radicchio. Allow to rest for about 20 minutes to fully absorb. Top with lots of freshly grated Grana Padano and some fresh chives. Sprinkle each plate with a tiny bit of flaky sea salt, then enjoy immediately.
- Don't skip the balsamic dressing! The combination of balsamic, honey, and anchovies helps to mask and tame the bitterness.
- Dress the radicchio at least 20 minutes before serving. You really want the radicchio to absorb as much of the dressing as possible!
- Want to eat the radicchio raw? Thinly slice, then soak in ice cold water for 10 minutes. Drain, dry, then serve with the balsamic vinaigrette and plenty of cheese and fresh herbs!
- Can't find truffle Grana Padano? Substitute with any hard white cheese, such as Parmesan, Pecorino Romano, or Manchego.
Calories: 92kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 155mg | Potassium: 282mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 69IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg