Tuna tartare may look fancy, but it's one of the easiest dishes you can make at home! Use sushi-grade fresh ahi tuna, then marinate with a mix of soy sauce, ginger, lime juice, and sesame oil. Add white onion for crunch, jalapeño for heat, and plenty of avocado! You will make this light, flavorful tartare again and again!
Servings: 4 servings
For the marinade
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce low-sodium
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp ginger paste or 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
For the tuna
- 1 lb ahi tuna fresh, sushi-grade
- ½ medium avocado diced
- 3 Tbsp white onion very thinly sliced
- ½ - 1 jalapeño minced
- ¼ cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds plus more for serving
- Lime wedges for serving
- Wonton crisps or thin crackers for serving, optional
Make the marinade. Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, lime juice, and ginger paste in a small bowl, then whisk well. Set aside.
Cut the tuna. Using a very sharp knife, cut the tuna into ⅛" dice, trimming away any sinew or skin. Place tuna in a large mixing bowl.
Add remaining ingredients. Add avocado, onion, jalapeño (½ if you like it mild, or the full pepper for a bit more heat), cilantro, and 1 tsp sesame seeds. Pour marinade on top, then toss to thoroughly coat. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
To serve. Stir the tartare, then serve with an extra sprinkle of sesame seeds and lime wedges.
- Can't get your hands on fresh tuna? Salmon, yellowtail, or fresh sea scallops make great substitutions!
- Be careful not to let the tuna sit in lime juice for an extended period of time, or the acid will 'cook' the fish. Instead, if you want to make tartare ahead of time, we recommend chopping all ingredients, combining in a bowl, then refrigerating until needed. Do not toss with tartare marinade until just before serving.
- When eating raw fish, it's important that it be as fresh as possible and of the highest quality. Make sure to use fresh sushi-grade ahi tuna in this tartare recipe.
Calories: 248kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 550mg | Potassium: 438mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2608IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 2mg