Roasted Root Vegetables
Roasted root vegetables are an easy, flavorful side dish to enjoy all fall and winter long. Mix and match veggies that you love most: beets, parsnips, carrots, sweet potatoes, shallots, radishes. Roast until tender, then add a bit of creamy goat cheese (we recommend Selles-Sur-Cher). The perfect side dish that goes with everything from roast chicken to steak to seafood!
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- 8-10 large shallots peeled and halved
- 4 medium beets red, golden, or Chioggia, peeled and quartered
- 2 parsnips peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- ¼ - ½ lb Yukon potatoes or other potatoes, cut into 1" pieces
- 3-4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp goat cheese such as Selles-Sur-Cher
- flaky sea salt for serving
Peel root vegetables. Start with about 2 - 2 ½ lbs of mixed root vegetables. Preheat oven to 425 F. Peel any vegetable whose skin you don't want to eat. We often leave potato skin on, but peel things like beets, carrots, and parsnips.
Cut root vegetables. Make sure to cut the vegetables in pieces of similar size to help ensure more even cooking.
Season root vegetables. Place vegetables in a single layer in a rimmed baking dish (use multiple dishes if needed), then drizzle with olive oil, Kosher salt, and black pepper. Place vegetables like shallots cut side down so they lay flat.
Roast root vegetables. Cook in a preheated oven for 30 minutes. Toss the veggies, then return to oven and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes more, or until tender.
Drizzle with balsamic vinegar. As soon as the vegetables come out of the oven, drizzle with a couple tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. Give one final toss, then plate the veggies.
Serve. Just before serving, add creamy goat cheese and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt. Enjoy immediately or at room temperature!
- For the recipe above, you'll want about 2 - 2 ½ lbs total of root vegetables. Mix and match according to what's available at the store as well as personal prefernce.
- Popular root vegetables include: beets, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onions, shallots, turnips, radishes, ginger, garlic, fennel, celeriac and turmeric.
- We love adding brussel sprouts or squash to this as well! Just make sure the pieces are all roughly the same size when cooking.
Calories: 201kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 564mg | Potassium: 761mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 8659IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 2mg