Red Skin Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Thick, creamy, buttery homemade red skin mashed potatoes! Infuse melted butter with smashed garlic cloves before folding into tender mashed potatoes with a touch of heavy cream. Garnish with chives, flaky sea salt, and black pepper for a cozy side dish that goes well with everything!
Prep10 minutes mins
Cook20 minutes mins
Total30 minutes mins
Keyword: buttery, creamy mashed potatoes, garlic potatoes
Servings: 8 servings
- 3 - 3 ½ lbs red potatoes unpeeled, cut into 2" pieces
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic smashed
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 2 ½ tsp Kosher salt divided
- ½ Freshly ground black pepper plus more for serving
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped chives for serving
- Flaky sea salt for serving
Cook potatoes. Place potatoes in a large pot, then cover with 2 inches of cool water. Season with 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, then set over high heat and bring to a rapid boil. Cook for ~20 minutes, or until fork tender.
Infuse the butter. While the potatoes are cooking, place butter in a small saucepan with garlic cloves. Cook over medium heat until melted. Turn the heat to a simmer and allow butter to infuse with garlic until needed.
Drain and mash. Drain the potatoes, then immediately return to the warm pot. Use a potato masher to mash until you reach your desired consistency. Lumps are fine!
Flavor the potatoes. Discard the smashed potatoes from infused butter, then add butter to the potatoes along with heavy cream, remaining Kosher salt, and black pepper. Stir until all liquid has absorbed and potatoes are thick and creamy.
Serve immediately. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary, then garnish with chives, a couple pinches of flaky sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- To reheat potatoes, simply place in a saucepan on the stovetop, set the heat to medium, then add a touch of heavy cream or milk (you can use chicken stock if you are calorie conscious, but it will not taste the same!), then stir gently as it reheats.
Calories: 396kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 508mg | Potassium: 1695mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 558IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 3mg