This is hands down the BEST California club sandwich you will ever make! Toasted bread is slathered with a creamy homemade tarragon aioli (this makes the sandwich!). Top with crispy bacon, fresh tomatoes, avocado, arugula, and thinly sliced turkey or chicken. Our favorite lunch sandwich!
Servings: 2 servings
8 wooden appetizer skewers or toothpicks
For The Tarragon Aioli
- 1 large egg
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped tarragon
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the California Club Sandwich
- 4 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 3 slices bacon crispy
- 4 oz deli turkey or chicken thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup baby arugula or other greens such as Romaine, butter lettuce, spinach
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Make the aioli. Combine 1 egg, 1 clove chopped garlic, and 4 tsp fresh lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor fitted with blade attachment. Process until finely chopped, then with the motor running slowly stream in ½ cup canola oil. Continue to process for 30 seconds, or until well incorporated. Scrape down the sides then process once more. Finish the aioli. Transfer to a large mixing bowl, then stream in ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, whisking the entire time. The aioli will be smooth, thick, and pale yellow. Add 2 Tbsp finely chopped tarragon, ½ tsp Kosher salt, and ⅛ tsp black pepper. Stir to mix, then refrigerate until needed. Toast bread. Once bread is toasted, either leave in toaster oven or place on a wire rack until all remaining ingredients are ready. This will help keep the bread crispy!
Assemble the California club sandwiches. Spread a thin layer of tarragon aioli on both sides of toasted bread. To the bottom piece, layer the following: 1 ½ strips crispy bacon, thinly sliced turkey, 2 slices tomato. On the top slice of bread, place a layer of thinly sliced avocado. Season both the tomato and avocado with a little Kosher salt and black pepper. Place a generous handful of arugula (or other greens) on top of tomato, then flip the bread with avocado on top.
Secure with skewers. Place 4 toothpicks or skewers into the sandwich in the shape of a compass (N, S, E, W). It's okay that they're not going all the way through the bread yet. Slice the sandwich. Use a sharp knife to cut the sandwich in an X shape, creating 4 triangular pieces. Pick each piece up and press the toothpick or skewer through the rest of the way. Serve immediately!
- Nutrition facts include 2 sandwiches with a thin layer of aioli. There will be leftover aioli (perfect over poached eggs or fish!).
- Use a thinner cut of bread, nothing too thick like ciabatta or a baguette. Our recommendation is whole wheat sandwich bread!
- You can make the bacon ahead of time and keep it in a refrigerator until needed. Totally okay to serve it room temp on the sandwich, which helps to make these come together quicker for an easy weekday lunch option!
- Don't spread the aioli on the toasted bread until you're ready to assemble. No one wants a soggy sandwich!
- Season both the tomato and avocado with Kosher salt and black pepper. This helps to bring out their wonderful natural flavors!
- Do not attempt to cut the California club before securing with toothpicks or skewers.
- Homemade aioli will keep for up to 1 week, but is best within a few days. Whisk before using if it has separated a little.
Serving: 1whole sandwich (4 quarters) | Calories: 566kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 113mg | Sodium: 1530mg | Potassium: 702mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1182IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 186mg | Iron: 5mg