This is hands down the BEST California club sandwich you will ever make! Toasted bread is slathered with a creamy homemade tarragon aioli (this makes the sandwich!). Top with crispy bacon, fresh tomatoes, avocado, arugula, and thinly sliced turkey or chicken. Our favorite lunch sandwich!
Servings: 2 servings
For The Tarragon Aioli
- 1 large egg
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped tarragon
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the California Club Sandwich
- 4 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 3 slices bacon crispy
- 4 oz deli turkey or chicken thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup baby arugula or other greens such as Romaine, butter lettuce, spinach
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Make the aioli. Combine egg, chopped garlic, and fresh lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor fitted with blade attachment. Process until finely chopped, then with the motor running slowly stream in the canola oil. Continue to process for 30 seconds, or until well incorporated. Scrape down the sides then process once more. Finish the aioli. Transfer to a large mixing bowl, then stream in the extra virgin olive oil, whisking the entire time. The aioli will be smooth, thick, and pale yellow. Add finely chopped tarragon, Kosher salt, and black pepper. Stir to mix, then refrigerate until needed. Toast bread. Once bread is toasted, either leave in toaster oven or place on a wire rack until all remaining ingredients are ready. This will help keep the bread crispy!
Assemble the California club sandwiches. Spread a thin layer of tarragon aioli on both sides of toasted bread. To the bottom piece, layer the following: 1 ½ strips crispy bacon, thinly sliced turkey, 2 slices tomato. On the top slice of bread, place a layer of thinly sliced avocado. Season both the tomato and avocado with a little Kosher salt and black pepper. Place a generous handful of arugula (or other greens) on top of tomato, then flip the bread with avocado on top.
Secure with skewers. Place 4 toothpicks or skewers into the sandwich in the shape of a compass (N, S, E, W). It's okay that they're not going all the way through the bread yet. Slice the sandwich. Use a sharp knife to cut the sandwich in an X shape, creating 4 triangular pieces. Pick each piece up and press the toothpick or skewer through the rest of the way. Serve immediately!
- Nutrition facts include 2 sandwiches with a thin layer of aioli. There will be leftover aioli (perfect over poached eggs or fish!).
- Use a thinner cut of bread, nothing too thick like ciabatta or a baguette. Our recommendation is whole wheat sandwich bread!
- You can make the bacon ahead of time and keep it in a refrigerator until needed. Totally okay to serve it room temp on the sandwich, which helps to make these come together quicker for an easy weekday lunch option!
- Don't spread the aioli on the toasted bread until you're ready to assemble. No one wants a soggy sandwich!
- Season both the tomato and avocado with Kosher salt and black pepper. This helps to bring out their wonderful natural flavors!
- Do not attempt to cut the California club before securing with toothpicks or skewers.
- Homemade aioli will keep for up to 1 week, but is best within a few days. Whisk before using if it has separated a little.
Serving: 1whole sandwich (4 quarters) | Sodium: 1530mg | Calcium: 186mg | Vitamin C: 18mg | Vitamin A: 1182IU | Sugar: 6g | Fiber: 5g | Potassium: 702mg | Cholesterol: 113mg | Calories: 566kcal | Trans Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Fat: 40g | Protein: 21g | Carbohydrates: 33g | Iron: 5mg