Greek Orzo Salad Recipe
Greek orzo salad combines classic Mediterranean flavors in an easy, light side dish that will brighten up any spring or summer cookout! The pasta salad can be made days in advance and features Kalamata olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell pepper, and lots of feta cheese. Toss with our homemade red wine vinaigrette!
Servings: 8 servings
Large pot for cooking orzo
Mason jar and lid or measuring cup and whisk
- 16 oz orzo
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes halved or quartered
- 1 medium bell pepper seeded and diced
- ½ medium red onion diced
- ½ English cucumber halved and sliced into half moons
- ½ cup Kalamata olives pitted and thinly sliced
- ¾ cup fresh feta cheese crumbled
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- fresh oregano for garnish
For the red wine vinaigrette
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice plus 1 lemon zested
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Cook the orzo. Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Season generously with Kosher salt (about 2 Tbsp), then add orzo, stir, and cook according to package directions, about 8-10 minutes, or until tender. Drain, then transfer orzo to a large mixing bowl.
Make the salad dressing. Combine ⅓ cup EVOO, ¼ red wine vinegar, 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice and 1 lemon zested, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp honey, ½ tsp Kosher salt, and ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper in a mason jar, then seal. Shake tightly until emulsified. Alternatively, you can whisk all ingredients together in a measuring cup or bowl. Set aside.
Mix the salad. To the orzo, add tomatoes, diced bell pepper, red onion, cucumber, and Kalamata olives. Drizzle the dressing on top, then toss well to thoroughly coat. Add crumbled feta and chopped parsley, then stir once more. Serve warm, room temperature, or cold. Just before serving, garnish with a few fresh oregano leaves.
- While the recipe makes the desired amount of dressing for this salad, you can increase the quantity of veggies to fit your specific tastes, adding as much or as little as you like!
- Greek orzo salad will keep in an airtight container in a refrigerator for 4-5 days. Do not freeze.
Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 450mg | Potassium: 356mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 998IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 2mg