Bourbon-Whipped Butternut Squash Mash with Crispy Sage and Parmesan
Bourbon-whipped butternut squash mash is a fun and flavorful side dish, perfect for fall or winter! It's loaded with parmesan, a bit of heavy cream, and finished with crispy fried sage leaves. Worthy of any holiday menu!
Servings: 6 -8 servings
- 2 large butternut squash (peeled and cut into 1" cubes)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- ½ Tbsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp bourbon (such as Michter's)
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup Parmesan (grated or thinly sliced with a vegetable peeler, plus more for garnish)
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup fresh sage leaves
Preheat oven to 425 F. In a large mixing bowl, add butternut squash, olive oil, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, cinnamon, and black pepper, then toss to combine. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, then roast for 30-35 minutes, or until squash is completely tender and browned on the outside, tossing once halfway through.
Let squash cool 5 minutes, then place in the bowl of a food processor fitted with blade attachment. Pulse to break down squash, then add heavy cream and bourbon and purée until smooth, working in batches as needed.
Transfer squash to a large bowl, then stir in butter and parmesan. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
In a small pan, heat vegetable oil until hot. Carefully add sage leave (oil will splatter!) and fry about 15 seconds, just until crispy. Immediately remove and drain on a paper towel.
Serve butternut squash mash with crispy sage leaves and an additional sprinkling or parmesan.
- Mash can be made up to 3 days in advance.
- To reheat, place in a 350F oven in a baking dish and heat until warm throughout, about 15-20 minutes. Alternatively, you could heat this in a sauce pan on a stove top with a splash of heavy cream, chicken stock, or water to keep the texture creamy.
Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 14.6g | Protein: 3.8g | Fat: 13.7g | Saturated Fat: 6.9g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 986mg | Fiber: 2.5g | Sugar: 2.9g