Sage and Cheddar Biscuits Recipe
Homemade flaky AF biscuits with white cheddar, sage, and black pepper. Drizzle generously with honey and rye — absolute heaven!
Servings: 12 biscuits
- 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (very cold, diced)
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage (chopped)
- ½ cup white cheddar (grated)
- 1 cup buttermilk (very cold)
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 Tbsp rye whiskey
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp maldon sea salt
- Honey (for serving)
- Room temperature butter (for serving)
Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Use a pastry cutter to cut in butter until pea-sized pieces form.
Pour in chopped sage, grated cheddar, and buttermilk, mixing just until combined. Pour out onto a lightly floured surface and gently pat into a rectangle about 1” tall.
Use a bench scraper to cut the dough into 4 equal rectangles, then carefully stack them on top of each other. Use a lightly floured rolling pin to gently roll out into a 1” tall square (the shape isn’t as important as keeping the height!).
Cut into 12 biscuits, then carefully transfer to prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving about 2” between each. Place biscuits in freezer for 10-15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425 F.
Combine melted butter in a small bowl with rye whiskey, then brush tops of biscuits. Sprinkle each biscuit with freshly ground black pepper and a few maldon sea salt flakes.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Serve with honey and butter.
- To freeze: prepare and cut out biscuits as directed, then transfer to a baking sheet, wrap in plastic wrap completely, and store in freezer until ready to bake. You don't want to brush the melted butter and rye on top before freezing. Instead, brush them onto frozen biscuit dough just before baking. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and black pepper, then pop 'em in the oven!
- Cooking frozen biscuits will require adding a few extra minutes to the cook time.
- Nutrition facts calculated without honey and butter for serving (optional).
Serving: 1biscuit | Calories: 300kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 5.7g | Fat: 17.5g | Saturated Fat: 10.9g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 570mg | Fiber: 1.1g | Sugar: 1.1g