Spanakopita spirals are easier to make than a traditional spanakopita, and more fun to eat! Fill phyllo dough with a simple mixture of spinach, feta, cottage cheese, and fresh herbs, then roll up, twist, and bake! This spanakopita recipe makes a great appetizer, side dish, or main!
Servings: 6 spirals
- 11 oz baby spinach
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 10 oz cottage cheese
- 10 oz feta crumbled
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp fresh oregano chopped
- 11 Tbsp unsalted butter melted, divided
- 1 16 oz package phyllo dough defrosted (18 sheets, 13"x18")
Make the spanakopita filling. Preheat oven to 350 F. Place spinach in a food processor and pulse until just roughly chopped, working in batches as needed. Transfer to a large bowl. Add eggs, cottage cheese, feta, salt, pepper, lemon zest, and oregano, then mix well. Set aside.
Set up your work station. Place the spanakopita filling and 1 stick of melted butter (reserve 3 Tbsp to brush on top) in front of you. You'll need a ½ cup measuring cup and 1 Tbsp measuring spoon.
Assemble spanakopita spirals. Unroll phyllo dough. Working with one sheet at a time, spoon on 2-3 Tbsp melted butter. No need to brush it on top, just use the tablespoon to portion it and spoon onto dough. Quickly add another sheet of phyllo dough and repeat with butter. Top with a third sheet of phyllo and then pour on ¼-½ cup of filling along the bottom (long side) of the dough into a long thin line, leaving an inch of space on either end.
Shape the spirals. Fold the dough over and around the filling, then roll the phyllo into a long log. Carefully work the log into a spiral and transfer to a large skillet. Repeat with remaining sheets of phyllo and dough to create remaining spirals.
Bake the spanakopita spirals. Brush reserved melted butter on top, then bake for 50-60 minutes, or until golden brown and crunchy. Serve immediately.
- Spanakopita spirals are best fresh. The longer cooked phyllo dough sits, the less crunchy it becomes. If you are reheating, place on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet. Spray with nonstick cooking oil, place strudels on the baking sheet, then spray again. Cook until crispy again, about 10 minutes at 350 F.
- Assembled, uncooked spanakopita spirals can be frozen for up to 6 months. To cook from frozen, add about 5 minutes to cook time.
Serving: 1spanakopita spiral | Sodium: 1551mg | Calcium: 353mg | Vitamin C: 15mg | Vitamin A: 5920IU | Sugar: 4g | Fiber: 1g | Potassium: 413mg | Cholesterol: 188mg | Calories: 404kcal | Saturated Fat: 22g | Fat: 36g | Protein: 17g | Carbohydrates: 6g | Iron: 2mg