Skillet chicken with anchovies is a flavor packed, Whole30 weeknight dinner with garlic, anchovies, and capers. Our family enjoys this at least 2x a month as it's the ultimate guilt-free comfort meal.
Servings: 5 servings
- 1 ¼ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs about 5 thighs
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 garlic cloves smashed and peeled
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 anchovy filets drained
- 2 Tbsp capers drained, patted dry
- 1 large pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 lemon halved
- fresh parsley for serving, chopped
Heat oven to 350 F. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper on both sides. Mince one of the garlic cloves and set it aside for later. In a large, cast iron or ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, add oil. When oil is hot, add the 5 smashed whole garlic cloves, anchovies, capers, and crushed red pepper. Let cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the anchovies, until the garlic browns around the edges and the anchovies dissolve, 3 to 5 minutes. Be careful, the oil will splatter.
Add the chicken thighs and cook nicely browned on one side, 5-7 minutes. Flip the thighs, place the pan in the oven and cook another 5-10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Chicken is safe to eat when the internal temperature is 165 F.
When chicken is done, transfer thighs to a plate (be careful, as the pan handle will be hot). Place skillet back on the heat and add minced garlic and the juice of one lemon half. Cook for about 30 seconds, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Turn off the heat, then return chicken to the pan to coat in the sauce.
Transfer everything to a serving platter. Squeeze the remaining lemon half over the chicken and garnish with chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
- Can substitute boneless, skinless chicken thighs with bone-in, skin-on thighs or boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but cook time will increase by ~2-4 minutes. Chicken is safe to eat at 165 F internally.
- Serving suggestions: roasted potatoes, rice, grilled vegetables, crusty bread.
Calories: 263kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 622mg | Potassium: 484mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg