Quick, simple, no-cook appetizer of marinated feta with high quality extra virgin olive oil, flaky sea salt, black pepper, and fresh thyme leaves. An easy and impressive appetizer for a crowd!
Servings: 6 servings
- 8 oz (½ lb) block of Greek feta cheese drained
- ⅓ cup high quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 dried bay leaf
- ½ tsp flaky sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs thyme leaves pulled
- crusty bread or crackers for serving
- mixed olives for serving
One hour before serving, remove feta from refrigerator to come to room temperature.
Place feta in a large shallow bowl. Drizzle olive oil on top and around feta. Add bay leaf to the bowl.
Sprinkle feta with flaky sea salt, black pepper, and fresh thyme leaves. Serve with crusty bread or crackers and olives.
- Cheese: yes, you can marinate other cheese! Goat cheese or small balls of mozzarella work great!
- Olive oil: I do not recommend using an oil such as avocado or coconut oil -- or anything with light flavor. You really want that bold, nutty flavor from extra virgin!
- Herbs: go crazy! If you have dill, use dill. If you've got tarragon, use tarragon. Use what you've got on hand!
- Marinated feta can be made a few hours in advance, but do not sprinkle with salt and pepper until serving so they don't dissolve or get soft!
- This will stay fresh in an airtight container in a refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Calories: 110kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 209mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 16IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg