– Combine dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine. Add shortening and butter. Pulse until pea-sized pieces form.
– Add ice water and pulse. Add an additional tablespoon of water until the dough begins to form. – Remove dough and separate into two round disks. Wrap each in plastic wrap and chill.
– Combine sugar and water in a saucepan. Cook until the sugar has turned a deep amber hue. – Slowly drizzle in heavy cream while whisking, cook until caramel is smooth. Then add salt and butter.
– Combine lemon juice and apples in a large bowl. Add flour, cinnamon, and sugar, then toss to combine.
– Preheat oven. Make egg wash by whisking 1 egg with water. Set aside. – Roll out one round of dough on a lightly floured surface. Transfer through onto a jelly roll pan.
– Gently press the dough into the edge of the pan and trim off excess dough. – Pour prepared apples into pan and spread out to fill evenly. Drizzle caramel over apples.
– Roll out your remaining piece of dough. Either roll dough onto your rolling pin and transfer to the pie. Brush the egg wash on top. – Bake in a preheated oven until the top is golden brown and the caramel inside is bubbling.
Serve with homemade cinnamon whipped cream (or ice cream).