Why We Love Chocolate Mousse Pie
This is the most requested and loved dessert in the Well Seasoned household, and here’s why:
- Store bought pie shell means no fidgeting with pie dough!
- The pie shell is made from a mix of AP flour and ground walnuts — adds a slightly nutty flavor that works so well with the chocolate!
- No bake (an obvious win!)
- Creamy, rice, smooth chocolate mousse filling
- Light as air homemade whipped cream
- A slight crunch from the chocolate shavings on top
We have made and gifted this to friends and family and guys, it is always a winner!
Ingredients For Chocolate Mousse Pie
Ingredients for homemade chocolate mousse
- 1 Diamond of California prepared walnut pie crust
- Semi-sweet chocolate, either chips or chopped
- Unsalted butter
- Egg yolks, room temperature
- Granulated sugar
- Pure vanilla extract
- Instant espresso powder
Ingredients for homemade whipped cream
- Heavy cream
- Confectioner’s sugar
Store Bought Pie Crust Is A Life Saver
This pie wouldn’t be ‘no-bake’ if I had to make the crust myself. Instead, I reached for a walnut pie crust from Diamond of California, one of their new Ready-to-Use Nut Pie Crusts that recently hit markets. Instead of cookie crumbs, the crust is made from tree nuts! These crusts are made with 10 ingredients or less, and are a more nutritious way to pie than traditional cookie crusts.
Oh yeah, and also they’re delicious! And given that walnuts are the main ingredient in this crust, I know it would be perfect in savory preparations as well.
How To Make Chocolate Mousse Filling
- Dissolve instant espresso powder in a small bowl with vanilla extract (or water).
- To make chocolate mousse, combine chocolate, butter, and water in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second increments, stirring after each addition, until smooth.
- Combine egg yolks, sugar, and instant espresso/vanilla in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Whisk until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg mixture to the chocolate, then stir until well combined. Place in fridge.
- Whip half of your heavy cream with confectioner’s sugar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the cooled chocolate mixture until no streaks of cream remain.
Assembling Chocolate Mousse Pie
Once you’ve made your homemade chocolate mousse, simply pour into Diamond of California walnut pie crust, smooth the top, then refrigerate until set, about 2-3 hours.
When ready to serve, top with homemade whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Is Chocolate Mousse Pie Gluten-Free?
The Nut Pie Crusts from Diamond of California are not gluten free. They’ve replaced 3 ounces of flour and sugar with 3 ounces of nutritious Diamond nuts. A small amount of wheat flour is included in the ingredient list to help keep the crust together without having to rely on processed stabilizers and guar gum.
The remaining ingredients in this chocolate mousse pie are gluten-free.
How Long Will No Bake Chocolate Mousse Pie Keep?
This pie can be made up to 2 days in advance. Cover and refrigerate until needed, then whip the cream day-of and top the pie right before serving.
Trust us, you want that cream whipped fresh and dolloped on top just before you enjoy!
Can You Freeze Mousse Pie?
Yes! Fill the prepared Nut Pie Crust with chocolate mousse, then cover with plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
The pie can be frozen for up to 3 months.
To serve: thaw completely in a refrigerator overnight, then top with fresh homemade whipped cream and chocolate shavings just before serving.
Can I Switch Out The Filling?
All I know is that having a no-bake pie in the lineup for your busiest holidays — shoutout to Thanksgiving and Christmas! — will make executing your vision SO much simpler.
Seriously, this pie is epic. And you better believe we licked the pan clean!
You can pick up these new Ready-to-Use Nut Pie Crusts by Diamond of California at Walmart, Save Mart Supermarkets, and H-E-B Texas Grocery. Trust me, you need these in your life!
*This post was sponsored by Diamond of California. All opinions are my own. I only support and promote brands that I believe in and use in my own kitchen – I hope you’ll check them out! Thank you for supporting the brands that make Well Seasoned possible.
If you make this No-Bake Chocolate Mousse Pie, please let me know by leaving a review below!
And make sure to sign up for our newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more Well Seasoned recipes! DON’T FORGET to tag us on social channels when you make a recipe at #wellseasonedstudio !! We LOVE seeing what you’re up to in the kitchen!
For more chocolate desserts, check out the following:
- Chocolate raspberry rugelach
- Chocolate cupcakes with espresso buttercream
- Flourless chocolate cake
- Chocolate-dipped pecan biscotti
- Chocolate bourbon pecan pie
- Matzo crack
No-Bake Chocolate Mousse Pie
- 2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract can substitute water
- 1 tsp instant espresso
- 1 Diamond of California walnut pie crust
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chopped or chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 egg yolks room temperature
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream divided
- 2 Tbsp confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ cup chocolate shavings for serving
To make chocolate mousse
- In a small bowl, dissolve instant espresso powder in vanilla extract with a whisk or fork.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate, butter, and water. Heat in microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each addition, until melted and smooth. Place in refrigerator.
- Add egg yolks, sugar, and instant espresso to a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Whisk constantly until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Pour cooked egg mixture into chocolate then stir until smooth. Return to fridge.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk ¾ cup heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold heavy cream into chocolate mixture until no streaks of cream remain.
- Gently pour mousse into Diamond of California walnut pie crust, then transfer to a fridge to set, about 2-3 hours.
- When ready, whip remaining ¾ cup heavy cream in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium-high speed. When soft peaks form, add confectioner’s sugar. Continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Spoon on top of chocolate mousse pie, then sprinkle chocolate shavings on top.