There’s something about a dessert that requires no baking that sparks joy. And this No Bake Chocolate Mousse Pie is not only easy to make, but seriously delicious. In fact, it’s my go-to dessert for dropping off with friends and family when they need a little pick me up. Here’s why:
- Store bought pie shell means no fidgeting with pie dough! (Though if you want to make your own pie crust and blind bake it, this filling is perfection either way!)
- The creamy, smooth chocolate mousse filling comes together quickly!
- Light as air homemade whipped cream. There is nothing that homemade whipped cream doesn’t make better. Feel free to substitute with our coffee whipped cream for all the coffee lovers out there!
Seriously, this pie is always a winner.
First, you’ve gotta make the filling. Here’s what you’ll need
- 1 prepared walnut pie crust or a graham cracker crust: You can use any variety you like!
- Semi-sweet chocolate, either chips or chopped
- Unsalted butter
- Egg yolks, room temperature
- Granulated sugar
- Pure vanilla extract
- Instant espresso powder
Our homemade whipped cream is made simply with heavy cream, confectioner’s sugar, and a splash of vanilla extract.
How To Make Chocolate Mousse
- Dissolve instant espresso powder in a small bowl with vanilla extract. You could use water instead, but vanilla extract adds even more flavor.
- Melt the chocolate and butter. Combine chocolate, butter, and water in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second increments, stirring after each addition, until smooth.
- Melt the sugar. Combine egg yolks, sugar, and the instant espresso/vanilla mixture in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Whisk until thickened, about 3 minutes, being careful not to scramble the eggs.
- Combine to make the chocolate base. Add the egg mixture to the chocolate, then stir until well combined. Place in a fridge to cool slightly.
- Fold in whipped cream. Whip half of your heavy cream with confectioner’s sugar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the cooled chocolate mixture until no streaks of cream remain.
Once you’ve made your homemade chocolate mousse, simply pour it into the prepared pie crust. Use an offset spatula to smooth the top, then refrigerate until set, about 2-3 hours.
When ready to serve, top with homemade whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
It seriously doesn’t get better!
No, most of the store-bought nut pies are not gluten-free. There’s still a small amount of flour in each. You’d need to look for a gluten-free pie crust to be safe! However, the remaining ingredients in the pie ARE gluten-free.
This can be made up to 2 days in advance. Cover and refrigerate until needed, then whip cream the day of and top the pie right before serving.
Yes! Just be sure to blind bake it before adding the mousse filling.
How To Freeze Pie
Fill the prepared crust with chocolate mousse, then cover with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Transfer to a freezer and store for up to 3 months.
To serve: thaw completely in a refrigerator overnight, then top with fresh homemade whipped cream and chocolate shavings just before serving.
Variations On Chocolate Mousse Pie
- Be careful not to cook the eggs over high heat! Otherwise, you risk scrambling them, which will affect the texture of the mousse.
- Fold in all of the whipped cream fully. If you don’t, there will be white streaks in the chocolate mousse. This is obviously more of an aesthetic issue than anything else. The chocolate mousse pie will still taste incredible either way!
- Don’t top the pie with whipped cream until just before serving. If left to sit for too long, the air in the whipped cream will collapse and it won’t be as light.
Seriously, this pie is epic. And you better believe we licked the pan clean!
If you make this No-Bake Chocolate Mousse Pie, please let us know by leaving a review and rating below!
And make sure to sign up for our newsletter and follow along on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Pinterest, and Facebook for more Well Seasoned recipes! DON’T FORGET to tag us on social channels when you make a recipe at #wellseasonedstudio !! We LOVE seeing what you’re up to in the kitchen!
For more chocolate desserts, check out the following:
- Chocolate raspberry rugelach
- Chocolate cupcakes with espresso buttercream
- Flourless chocolate cake
- Chocolate-dipped pecan biscotti
- Chocolate bourbon pecan pie
- Matzo crack
No-Bake Chocolate Mousse Pie Recipe
- 2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract can substitute water
- 1 tsp instant espresso
- 1 Store bought pie crust
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chopped or chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 egg yolks room temperature
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1½ cups heavy cream divided
- 2 Tbsp confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ cup chocolate shavings for serving
- Dissolve the espresso powder. In a small bowl, dissolve instant 1 tsp espresso powder in 2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract with a whisk or fork.
- Melt the chocolate. In a microwave safe bowl, combine 6 oz chocolate chips or chocolate shavings, 2 Tbsp butter, and 1 Tbsp water. Heat in a microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each addition, until melted and smooth. Place in refrigerator to cool slightly.
- Cook the eggs. Add 2 egg yolks, 2 tsp sugar, and the espresso-vanilla mixture to a sauce pan over medium-low heat. Whisk constantly until thickened, about 3 minutes, being careful not to overcook the eggs (or they'll scramble).
- Stir in the eggs. Pour the cooked egg mixture into chocolate, then stir until very smooth. Return to the fridge.
- Whip heavy cream. In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk ¾ cup heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold the heavy cream into the slightly cooled chocolate mixture until no streaks of cream remain.
- Assemble the pie. Gently pour the chocolate mousse into the pie crust, smoothing out the top with a spatula. Place in a fridge to set, about 2-3 hours.
- Top with whipped cream and serve. When ready, whip remaining ¾ cup heavy cream in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment on medium-high speed. When soft peaks form, add 2 Tbsp confectioner's sugar. Continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Spoon the whipped cream on top of chocolate mousse pie, then sprinkle ¼ cup chocolate shavings on top. Serve immediately.
- Pie can be made up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated until needed, then topped with fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings when ready to serve.
- NOTE that if you double or triple the recipe, the INSTRUCTIONS will not reflect the updated quantities for heavy cream! You’ll need to double or triple those quantities (as updated in the recipe) when you get to that part of the instructions.