If there’s one thing I’ve learned as an adult, it’s that small victories deserve to be celebrated. Surviving a storm without losing power –> bake cookies! Making it all day without screaming at your children like a mad woman –> open a bottle of wine! (Actually, the wine is good whether you yell at your kids or not…) Crossing 10 items off your to-do list in one day –> flourless chocolate cake!
And so here we are.
Why hello there, gorgeous.
There’s a reason you’re the crème de la crème of simple, show stopping desserts.
Flourless chocolate cake might look plain, but its pure, unadulterated chocolatey goodness is exactly what makes this cake so wonderful. And exactly why it is perfect both on a busy weeknight or during a lazy weekend. I promise, whether you’re a baking goddess or just starting out in the kitchen, you got this.
Top with cocoa powder (or a big scoop of ice cream, if you’re feeling indulgent) and slice into 8 pieces, not 12 — you can thank me later.
Flourless chocolate cake. Because you deserve happiness.
Flourless chocolate cake
- 8" cake pan
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or melting wafers
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus more for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray an 8” cake pan with baking spray, then line the bottom with a round of parchment paper.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl, then heat on high in 30 second increments, stirring after each addition, until both butter and chocolate are completely melted.
- Sift the sugar, salt, and espresso powder in with the chocolate and butter, then add vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until smooth. Add the sifted cocoa powder and whisk until just combined. Pour the batter into the greased cake pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a thin crust forms on top of the cake. Let cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then run a knife along the edge of the pan to loosen and invert onto a serving plate or cooling rack. Re-invert the cake one more time so it’s right side up.
- Allow cake to cool for additional 10 minutes before dusting with cocoa powder. Serve at room temperature or reheat until warm.