Tiramisu Cream Puffs
So I did this thing where I made cinnamon pate a choux and filled it with tiramisu pastry cream. It’s super fun, screams holiday, and is about to be gone because I can’t stop eating them. And why should I? Tiramisu cream puffs are a dream come true — light, flavorful, and far easier to make than you might expect. (Read on! I’m sharing my tips!)
If I’m being perfectly honest, tiramisu ranks high on the list of desserts I simply could not live without. I’ve been making the same recipe since college because even at an early age I knew it was solid gold. So naturally, I kept the cream recipe the same. Why mess with perfection?
Tiramisu has and always will make me think of the holidays. Its decadent and creamy texture always felt luxurious. Now these little cuties are here to steal the show and I can’t say I blame them.
If you’ve never made pate a choux let me be the first to reassure you — it’s quite simple. All you need to know is cook the dough long enough for a film to form on the bottom of your pan. It takes 2-3 minutes, that’s it, and then you whipwhipwhip in some eggs, one at a time, until they’re fully absorbed and the dough looks dry again. It will feel smooth and pliable. This same dough can be used for eclairs, profiteroles, all kinds of delicious desserts. The only real change is the shape that you pipe it out into.
Pinky promise you can handle this.
Tiramisu cream puffs, you were love at first bite.Print
To make tiramisu cream
- 3 large eggs, (separated)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese, (room temperature)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp coffee liqueur
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp instant espresso powder
For the pastry shells
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 5 large eggs
To make tiramisu cream
- Place egg yolks and sugar in a bowl set over a pot of simmering water making sure they don’t touch. Whisk until the mixture becomes pale yellow and thick ribbons fall from the whisk, about 4 minutes. Transfer mixture to the bowl of a stand mixture fitted with paddle attachment. Add mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth and well mixed, about 3 minutes. Transfer to another bowl and clean out stand mixer bowl.
- Meanwhile, combine vanilla extract and espresso powder in a small bowl and whisk.
- Pour heavy cream inside cleaned stand mixer bowl and switch to the whisk attachment. Whisk cream until stiff peaks form, then add coffee liqueur, espresso, and vanilla extract. Transfer to another bowl then wipe out stand mixer bowl.
- Place egg whites in bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Pour mascarpone mixture to bowl with heavy cream and fold until combined. Add half the egg whites, folding gently until well mixed. Repeat with remaining egg whites. Refrigerate until needed.
To make cream puff shells
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine butter, sugar, salt, and 1 cup water in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. When mixture comes to a boil, add flour and cinnamon, then use a wooden spoon to mix until flour is fully incorporated and a small film covers the bottom of the pan, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add 4 eggs, one at a time, mixing fully after each addition ensuring that the egg has been absorbed and mixed well. Wait until the dough looks dry again before adding each additional egg. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a ½” plain piping tip. Pipe out small 1-inch rounds onto the prepared pans, leaving at least 2 inches in between. Dip your finger in water then smooth the tops of each pastry by gently pushing down.
- Combine the last egg with 1 Tbsp water, then brush on top of dough. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown on the outside and hollow on the inside. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, then fill with prepared pastry dough by either (1) cutting each shell in half with a serrated knife and piping filling inside, or (2) using the tip of a knife to cut a small opening in either the side or the bottom of each shell and piping the filling in there. Serve immediately.