The other day my oldest son asked me what my super power was. The ideas formed easily… was it my ability to transform into Mommy Monster in less than 60 seconds? Laundry folder extraordinaire? Healer of those mysterious, non-existent boo boos? Perhaps a little of each. But I think my kids are starting to see that cooking and baking is a pretty wonderful gift, in and of itself. These cannoli cream parfaits showed them that.
They’ve never loved ricotta, but they stood next to me and watched as I turned something they don’t like into a pretty remarkable dessert, and I kid you not they licked the jars clean. And now? They believe in magic. More than that — they believe that I’m magical.
Maybe I am!
The idea for these parfaits has been forming in my mind for months. Honestly, I’m annoyed that I waited so long to bring them to life.
But let me tell you this: if the sign of a great recipe is not just wanting to make it over and over again, but actually making it endlessly, then this recipe is one for the books. Three times in one week, folks.
They’re basically a deconstructed cannoli. I spared you the frustration of bits and pieces of cannoli shell crumbling and breaking away with every bite, and instead layered them between the cannoli cream. You’re welcome!
And like, they’re totally gorgeous.
Cannoli cream parfaits
- Weck or mason jars
- 2 cups ricotta
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar sifted
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup chocolate shavings plus more for garnish
- ⅔ cup cannoli shells or chips crushed
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk ricotta until smooth. Add sifted sugar, cinnamon, and allspice, whisk until combined and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Add whipped cream to ricotta and fold until just mixed. Carefully stir in ⅓ cup of chocolate shavings.
- Layer the base of your small jars (or one larger container) with an equal mix of crushed cannoli shells or chips and shaved chocolate, reserving some as garnish. Fill jars almost to the top with cannoli cream. Garnish with more crushed cannoli chips and chocolate. Refrigerate until ready to serve.