It’s been over a week since Thanksgiving. We survived Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday. Some of us controlled ourselves, and others were caught red-handed, accused of spending too much money.
But it was a gift! And it’s for you! Well, for us. Okay, it’s for me…
You might think that now is the time to sit back, relax, and enjoy holiday music, but beware, the holiday season waits for no one and the time to begin organizing your next wave of events is now.
I’m kicking off the Well Seasoned holiday round up with the perfect first bite. Everyone — and I mean everyone — who organizes a cocktail party is in search of simple, flavorful, show stopping appetizers.
You might think pita chips seem like an ordinary appetizer choice, but hear me out. They become as elegant as you dream up. And trust me when I say these are 100x better than buying pre-made chips at the store. No, we don’t always have time to make them from scratch, but guys it’s the holidays! Anything is possible.
Cut pita rounds into wedges, drizzle or brush with olive oil on both sides (this is important! makes them super crispy and delicious!), and then season liberally with kosher salt. These alone are seriously addictive. But…
…top them with smoked salmon, cucumbers, cream cheese, dill, and capers and they become otherworldly. Elevated and elegant, yet simple. Because, again, holidays.
Just make more than you think you’ll need. They disappear really quickly.
If you make these Baked Pita Bites, please let us know by leaving a review and rating below!
And make sure to sign up for our newsletter and follow along on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Pinterest, and Facebook for more Well Seasoned recipes! DON’T FORGET to tag us on social channels when you make a recipe at #wellseasonedstudio !! We LOVE seeing what you’re up to in the kitchen!
More appetizers and hors d’oeuvres:
- Marinated Olives
- Phyllo-Wrapped Feta with Truffle Honey
- Fried Goat Cheese Balls
- Salmon Rillettes
- Whipped Feta Dip
Crispy Baked Pita Bites with Smoked Salmon
- 2 large pitas
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 2 Tbsp dill finely chopped
- ½ large cucumber thinly sliced
- 3 oz smoked salmon
- ¼ cup capers drained
- flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place pita on a flat work surface. Using a sharp knife, cut each pita into 6 equal wedges — first cut each pita in half, then cut each half into 3 equal wedges. Place onto lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle 2 Tbsp olive oil over pita wedges, then season with 1 tsp kosher salt. Bake for 6-8 minutes, until lightly browned and crisp. Set aside and let cool.
- In a small bowl, combine 4 oz. cream cheese and 2 Tbsp dill, then stir until well mixed. Place 1 tablespoon cream cheese mixture on top of each cooled pita wedge. Use a small spatula to carefully spread, then top with 1 or 2 slices of cucumber, and a small piece of smoked salmon. Serve immediately.