This Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread is the perfect use for all those fresh zucchini that are popping up in your garden and at markets!
This zucchini bread is for you if:
- You love moist, rich quick breads that are filled with chocolate!
- You have picky eaters who hate the thought of eating vegetables — trust us, they’ll never know there’s zucchini in here!!
- Perhaps you’re a fan of easy baking recipes that require very little effort.
- You like having a “healthy” vegetable forward breakfast option on hand! I kid, I kid…
If that sounds like you, it’s time to get baking! If you love this recipe, be sure to try our Chocolate Zucchini Muffins!
Ingredients To Make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Freshly grated zucchini! You can do this in a food processor, but we prefer the small holes on the side of a box grater.
- All-purpose flour: The base of the zucchini bread.
- Baking soda and baking powder: to help the quick bread rise.
- Ground cinnamon: Adds a slight touch of warmth. If you prefer, you can use freshly ground nutmeg instead!
- Kosher salt: To season all the ingredients, especially the zucchini, which can have a watered down taste.
- Unsalted butter: Helps to keep the zucchini bread moist!
- Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt gives the bread its signature texture.
- Brown sugar and granulated sugar: Adding both sweetness, and in the case of brown sugar, a hint of molasses.
- Room temperature eggs: To bind everything together.
- Vanilla extract: Helps to bring out the chocolate flavor, trust us!
- Chocolate chips: Use any type of chocolate chip you like! We recommend semi-sweet, always a crowd pleaser.
- Flaky sea salt: As with pretty much all of our baked goods, we love a pinch of flaky sea salt on top. It helps to bring out the chocolatey flavor of the bread!
You’ll also need a 9×5 loaf pan, nonstick baking spray, a whisk, a rubber spatula, and two mixing bowls.
How To Make A Quick Zucchini Bread
You make this chocolate chip zucchini bread the same way you’d start any quick bread recipe: in one bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. In a separate large bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, then use a rubber spatula to gently fold everything together, being careful not to over mix. When just a few streaks of flour remain, you can add in the chocolate chips, then stir a few more times, until just incorporated.
Pour the zucchini bread batter into prepared 9×5 inch loaf pans, then bake until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean (or has just a few tiny dry crumbs). Allow the bread to cool on a wire rack before removing from the loaf pan, then slice and serve!
Tips for the best success!
- If you don’t have baking spray (we love Baker’s Joy!), grease the loaf pan with unsalted butter, then coat with flour. Be sure to shake off any excess.
- Do not over mix! This will lead to a tough, dense zucchini bread, and nobody wants that.
- Do you need to peel the zucchini? Nope! Leave the skin on. Simply peel using the smallest holes on the side of a box grater.
- Should I drain the zucchini? No! No need to squeeze out excess moisture.
- I don’t have Greek yogurt. What can I use instead? No problem! Substitute with canola or vegetable oil. Even sour cream will work!
- Can I use other types of chocolate chips? Absolutely! Any type of chocolate chips can be used: semi-sweet, milk chocolate, dark chocolate chips, mini chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or a combination!
- Can I add nuts to this recipe? Totally! This would be delicious with chopped pecans or walnuts folded in.
- How do you know when the bread is done? Stick a toothpick or a cake tester in, and if there are only a few dry crumbs, it’s done. Make sure to test the center of the chocolate chip zucchini bread. If not fully baked, the bread will collapse in the middle.
- How long will zucchini bread keep? For up to 4 days at room temperature!
- Can you freeze zucchini bread? Yes, for up to 3 months! We recommend freezing the chocolate chip zucchini bread in slices — makes grabbing individual portions easier!
I Still Have So Much Zucchini — What Can I Make With It?
We have a ton of savory zucchini recipes on the site, as well! These are our favorites:
- Pesto Zoodles With Salmon
- Baked Zucchini Fries
- Zucchini Frittata
- Crispy Pan Seared Salmon with Lemon Parmesan Sauce
Whether you love zucchini or not, this quick bread is sure to impress. You need only proceed if you are a lover of chocolate and all things delicious!! Plus… it counts as a healthy breakfast option, right?!
If you make this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread recipe, please let us know by leaving a review and rating below!
And make sure to sign up for our newsletter and follow along on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Pinterest, and Facebook for more Well Seasoned recipes! DON’T FORGET to tag us on social channels when you make a recipe at #wellseasonedstudio !! We LOVE seeing what you’re up to in the kitchen!
More of our favorite easy baking recipes:
- Blueberry Dump Cake
- Cookie Butter Skillet Cookie
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Double Chocolate Scones
- Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 1 ½ cups (8 oz) finely grated zucchini about 1 large zucchini or 1 ½ medium
- 270 g all-purpose flour about 2 cups
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar packed
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips plus ¼ cup more for on top
- ½ tsp flaky sea salt
- Preheat an oven and prepare the loaf pan. Place a rack in the center of the oven, then preheat to 350 F. Coat a 9×5 loaf pan with baking spray, then line with parchment paper.
- Mix the dry ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 2 cups all-purpose flour, ¾ tsp ground cinnamon, ¾ tsp baking soda, ½ tsp baking powder, and ½ tsp Kosher salt.
- Mix the wet ingredients. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together ½ cup melted butter, ⅓ cup Greek yogurt, ⅔ cup brown sugar, ⅓ cup granulated sugar, 2 large eggs, and 2 tsp vanilla extract. Fold in the grated zucchini.
- Fold together. Pour the dry ingredients on top of the wet ingredients, then use a rubber spatula to stir until just combined and only a few streaks of flour remain. Fold in 1 ¼ cup chocolate chips, gently mixing to combine.
- Bake the zucchini bread. Pour the chocolate chip zucchini bread batter into the prepared loaf pan, then smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle on the remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips. Bake for 60 – 75 minutes, rotating the pan once halfway through baking, or until a toothpick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool, then slice. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack, sprinkle with flaky sea salt (if using), then allow to cool for at least 30 minutes. Invert to remove from the loaf pan, then slice into 8 equal pieces then enjoy!
- Chocolate chip zucchini bread will keep for up to 4 days at room temperature.
- Can be frozen for up to 3 months. We recommend freezing the bread in slices — makes grabbing and thawing individual portions easier!
Photography by: Pate of The G&M Kitchen
Let us know your thoughts!