Who’s ready to up your dinner party game?
Raise your hand if you’re constantly on the search for recipes that are easy to execute, yet show stoppers? This girl is. Like always and forever. Hosting friends and family is one of my greatest pleasures, and feeding them well tops the list of ways to make each visit memorable. Sure, you could order a pizza or grill some burgers — and trust me, there is a definitely a time and a place for that! — but on the whole, I prefer a meal that stops them in their tracks when they walk in the door. With a scent so tantalizing that they can’t help but run over to the table to be the first to snag a seat and get the meal going. Chicken may not be the fanciest of proteins to serve, but jazz it up with a creamy sun dried tomato white wine sauce and serve it with earthy, soulful mushrooms, and you’ve got yourself a total crowd pleaser.
Alright, total exaggeration. It felt like 20 miles. In reality, it was likely closer to ½ a mile. But nonetheless, it was a total trek, and we knew that whatever we bought we’d have to carry back ourselves. (Side note: we only bought a gallon container of OJ one time. Lesson learned.)
At the time, my husband (then boyfriend) and I dreamt up a delicious pasta dish that we cooked often — it had chicken, onions, sun dried tomatoes, peas, and mascarpone cheese. Bacon too if we were feeling fancy. But being poor college students, we often were not.
To me, this creamy sun dried tomato chicken with white wine sauce is the adult version of that dish. It’s matured, just like us!
The mascarpone has been replaced by a luscious cream sauce, laced with marsala and sherry vinegar. The chicken gets a facelift by being dredged in flour and seared off to a perfect golden brown. The peas have been upstaged by barely wilted spinach kissed with a touch of garlic. But the sun dried tomatoes? They remain untouched. Because let’s be honest: they are the star of both recipes.
Finish this beauty off with shiitake mushrooms (my favorite!) and serve it atop cauli mash or potatoes and see for yourself how soul satisfying a dish like this can be.
If you make this Creamy Chicken with Mushrooms, Tomatoes, and White Wine Sauce, please let me know by leaving a review below!
And make sure to sign up for our newsletter and follow along on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Pinterest, and Facebook for more Well Seasoned recipes! DON’T FORGET to tag us on social channels when you make a recipe at #wellseasonedstudio !! We LOVE seeing what you’re up to in the kitchen!
More simple weeknight recipes:
Creamy Chicken with Mushrooms, Tomatoes, and White Wine Sauce
- 8 chicken thighs boneless skinless
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 7 oz shiitake mushrooms stems removed, thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1 cup chicken stock homemade or low-sodium
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp California Sun-Dry tomato garlic
- ⅓ cup California Sun-Dry julienned tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp marsala cooking wine
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Place flour, 1 ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp black pepper in a large mixing bowl, then mix. Add chicken and shake to evenly coat on all sides. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat 2 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced mushrooms then let cook undisturbed for 4 minutes, or until a deep golden brown color develops on one side. Stir, then continue cooking another 2-3 minutes. Season with ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp black pepper, and thyme and cook 1 minute more. Add sherry, then use spatula to scrape bottom of pan and releasee any brown bits. Transfer mushrooms to a bowl, then return pan to stove.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp olive oil in the same pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until evenly browned, about 7-8 minutes. Flip chicken, then add chicken stock. Transfer to oven and continue cooking until internal temperature reaches 165 F, about 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and carefully transfer chicken to a plate. Add sun-dried tomato garlic and julienned tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then add white wine. Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes until sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Turn off the heat, then add marsala and heavy cream. Stir to combine, taste, then adjust seasoning as needed. Transfer chicken back to the pan. Serve immediately with mushrooms on top. Garnish with basil.