Peanut butter and I have a love-love relationship. In my eyes, it can do no wrong. On a sandwich? Delish. Served in a sauce alongside Thai satay? Heaven. Smeared on a plate after being used as finger paint? Eh, not so much my favorite, but those feelings of resentment have more to do with my children than the peanut butter (true story, happened last week, and yes, I completely overreacted). But my favorite way to eat it? A classic, of course. Flourless peanut butter cookies! Fork indentations, and all.
These gluten-free peanut butter cookies have a little something extra happening, which made exactly no one in our house upset. Dark chocolate would have been fine on its own, but I just received a bottle of these natural (and totally swoon worthy) sprinkles, and couldn’t resist the temptation to shoot with them.
And P.S. can we please talk about those sprinkles? My friend, Rezel, whom I met through a food photography course made them. She actually produced her own line of sprinkles! How unbelievably awesome is that?!
If life is all about who you know, I’m fairly certain I’ve become friends with the right kind of people — the kind who send you sprinkles.
Not a bad way to kick of the week, eh?
You may be hesitant to try these peanut butter cookies from scratch, because how is it even a cookie if there’s no flour in it? Just trust me on this one, you can’t even tell there’s flour missing. For this simple peanut butter cookie recipe, you’ll need creamy peanut butter (sorry, crunchy fans!), two types of sugar, an egg, vanilla extract, baking soda, and salt. And, of course, dark chocolate to dunk these babies in.
Despite the lack of flour in these cookies, they’re delightfully chewy. And because there are so few ingredients in this recipe, the flavor is pure peanut butter. I wouldn’t want it any other way!
Easy! Just mix together the peanut butter, sugars, and baking soda until combined, then stir in the rest of the ingredients. Scoop the dough onto a cookie sheet, taking time to press the cookies with fork to create a criss-cross pattern. These flourless peanut butter cookies only need to bake for around 10 minutes, so don’t stray too far from the oven!
Once the cookies are out of the oven, let them cool completely before dunking them in chocolate. The sprinkles on top are totally optional, but if you have some on hand I say add them. Different colored sprinkles make these quick peanut butter cookies easy to dress up for various holidays!
Absolutely! To freeze these flourless peanut butter cookies, let them cool completely before popping them into a zip-top freezer bag. When you’re ready to eat them, set them out on your counter to come to room temperature.
Can I dunk these in another type of chocolate?
Feel free to dunk your gluten-free peanut butter cookies in whatever chocolate you have on hand. You can also use chocolate chips or an actual chocolate bar instead of chocolate melting wafers, but the great thing about the wafers is that they melt so quickly and they have a great texture once hardened.
Can I use another nut butter?
Yes, but peanut butter is my personal favorite! If you use another type of nut butter to make these flourless cookies, please let me know which you used in a comment below. I love hearing what you all are baking!
First and foremost, it’s important that all of your ingredients are room temperature before you starting making the cookie dough. Having room temperature cookie dough ensures that the cookies bake at an even rate and that they don’t have to first warm up in the oven and then bake. You see what I’m saying?
Also, make sure to let the cookies cool completely before dipping them in the melted chocolate. If you try to dip them while the cookies are warm, it’ll take forever for the chocolate to harden. Not to mention you run the risk of the cookies breaking apart in your hands. If you really can’t wait to eat a cookie before you can dip them in chocolate, just eat one plain! The pure peanut butter flavor is perfection.
If you make my flourless peanut butter cookies, please let me know by leaving a review below! And make sure to sign up for my newsletter, and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more Well Seasoned recipes!
For additional peanut butter desserts, check out the following:
- Dark Chocolate S’mores Peanut Butter Cups
- Peanut Butter Smoothie Bowls
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Torte
Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate melting wafers*
- Preheat oven to 350 F, then line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine peanut butter, sugars, and baking soda in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Mix on medium until well incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add egg, vanilla, and salt, then beat well.
- Scoop out dough into equal portions with a small cookie scoop, placing dough about 2 inches apart. Roll dough into rounds, then use fork tines to create a criss cross pattern on each. Bake 8-10 minutes, then cool 5 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Place chocolate wafers in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds, then stir with a spatula. Continue heating chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring until completely melted.
- Dip ⅓ – ½ of each cooled cookie into melted chocolate, then immediately add sprinkles before chocolate cools.