Move over, avocado toast, there’s a new breakfast champ in town! In case you’re unfamiliar with the latest trend, please allow me to introduce you to your new favorite: peanut butter smoothie bowls.
A traditional slurp-from-a-straw smoothie is great, but these bowls are thicker, heartier, and allow you to get creative with texture.
Top them however you like — fresh fruit, nuts or granola, chia seeds, toasted coconut flakes — but for the love of all that is holy, don’t leave off the peanut butter drizzle. Or if peanut butter ain’t your thing, switch it up with almond of cashew butter. Even nutella counts as a nut butter, as far as I’m concerned.
Make a big batch the night before, then roll leisurely out of bed because breakfast is ready.
And the color? Totally, completely epic.
Peanut Butter Smoothie Bowls
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- ¾ cup milk fat free or reduced fat
- ⅓ cup natural peanut butter plus more for drizzling
- ½ cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- pinch of kosher salt
- fresh berries
- slivered almonds
- cocoa nibs
- sliced bananas
- chia seeds
- toasted coconut flakes
- Combine all smoothie bowl ingredients in a blender, then purée until smooth, thick, and creamy. If smoothie is too thick, add another splash of milk and purée again.
- Divide smoothie evenly between bowls, then top as desired.
- Take about ¼ cup of additional peanut butter and place in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds in microwave, then stir. Drizzle over smoothie bowls. Serve immediately.