If you love fresh herbs and creamy salad dressings, you’ve come to the right place! Our Green Goddess Salad Dressing takes minutes to prep and is perfect for drizzling over salads (it’s of course a match made in heaven for a Green Goddess Salad!), used as a dip for crudité and veggies, or even as a sandwich spread.
The base is primarily made of Greek yogurt with just a little bit of mayonnaise, lemon juice, and sherry vinegar to balance it out and give it a smooth texture. And of course there’s lots of fresh herbs! Stick to soft herbs like dill, parsley, basil, cilantro, and tarragon — the hard herbs don’t blend as easily.
Best part? The dressing is perfect for meal prep! It can be made 5 days in advance and actually intensifies in flavor the longer it sits. Yes, please!
- Greek yogurt: We like Greek yogurt for its thick texture. If you use regular yogurt, be sure to drain it first.
- Mayonnaise: Our go-to is Duke’s mayo, which has a rich, creamy taste.
- Fresh herbs: basil leaves, parsley, chives, and tarragon: You can feel free to experiment with any mix of soft herbs, though.
- Sherry vinegar: A little goes a long way!
- Lemon: You’ll use both the fresh lemon juice and the zest.
- Capers: These add a salty, briny taste.
- Garlic clove: Fresh garlic adds a slight heat to the creamy dressing.
- Kosher salt and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper to season the dressing.
We love making salad dressings in our personal blender, but a food processor or standard blender are great too. You can also obviously just chop everything finely and whisk together in a bowl.
How to Make Green Goddess Salad Dressing
Combine all of the dressing ingredients in the bowl or a personal blender, food processor fitted with a blade attachment, or standard blender, then pulse until very smooth and creamy.
If you do not have a food processor, we cannot recommend the Zwilling personal blender, enough. We use it almost daily for salad dressings. It’s the perfect compact size.
Not only is this delicious with a classic Green Goddess Salad, but it’s really perfect for a variety of salads. Try it with our No Cook Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad, Arugula Salad, or even to lightly dress this fresh, summery Cucumber & Tomato Salad.
What’s In A Green Goddess Salad?
A Green Goddess Salad is incredibly versatile — it can feature a variety of different lettuces, from baby arugula or spinach, to kale and mixed salad greens. Beyond that, it can have as many vegetables as you like — the idea is to keep them raw so they maintain their crunchy texture. Here’s our baseline recipe for a green goddess salad:
- Baby arugula or baby spinach
- Bibb lettuce or butter lettuce (though cabbage works well too, just finely shred it)
- Raw snap peas (or snow peas)
- Persian cucumbers
- Ripe avocado
When you combine all those veggies together with our creamy dressing, you get the best flavor and an unbelievable crunch.
Yes! Feel free to use sour cream or creme fraiche (which is tangier) if preferred.
Stick to soft herbs, such as basil, dill, parsley, cilantro, oregano, mint, tarragon, or chervil. Hard herbs (such as rosemary and thyme) don’t blend as easily.
Sure! Substitute with your favorite dairy-free yogurt, sour cream, or vegan mayonnaise. The rest of the ingredients are naturally dairy-free.
Make-Ahead and Storage
This dressing can be made up to 5 days in advance, making it perfect if you’re meal prepping lunch on the weekend. Plus, the fresh flavor of the herbs and garlic intensifies the longer it sits. Makes for a big wow factor when you dress the salad.
Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in a fridge. If you’ve got the time, let the dressing sit out at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before serving to help loosen it up a bit. We don’t recommend freezing creamy salad dressings, as they tend to separate when thawing or defrosting.
If you make this Green Goddess Salad Dressing recipe, please let us know by leaving a review and rating below!
And make sure to sign up for our newsletter and follow along on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Pinterest, and Facebook for more Well Seasoned recipes! DON’T FORGET to tag us on social channels when you make a recipe at #wellseasonedstudio !! We LOVE seeing what you’re up to in the kitchen!
Green Goddess Salad Dressing
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- ¼ cup fresh chives
- 3 Tbsp fresh tarragon
- 1 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- ⅓ lemon zested and juiced, about 1 tsp zest and 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp capers drained
- 1 small garlic clove roughly chopped
- ⅓ tsp Kosher salt
- A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Make the Green Goddess dressing. Combine all dressing ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with blade attachment. Process until very smooth, then taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Will keep in a fridge in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
- Leftovers: Store in an airtight container in a fridge for up to 5 days.
- Fresh herbs are a must for this recipe! It won’t taste the same with dried herbs.
- Greek yogurt: This can be substituted with sour cream, creme fraiche, or your favorite vegan or dairy-free alternative.
- Enjoy with our classic Green Goddess Salad recipe.
Photography by: Alana of Your Home Made Healthy.