Baked Vanilla-Almond French Toast
Guys, I’m really sorry. I’ve been sitting on this baked vanilla-almond french toast recipe for over a week and… it was selfish.
Because this is the breakfast to end all breakfasts. That’s really saying something because I am the queen of savory brunch.
Buttery, decadent brioche gets coated in a super luscious egg mixture that kind of tastes like almond custard. And it is glorious.
The whole thing is baked until slightly crispy, then topped with slivered almonds.
And a healthy dusting of powdered sugar.
If heaven exists, I’m pretty sure they’re serving this daily.
Want to take it over the top?
Pure maple syrup. You need it. The french toast is shockingly not very sweet on its own, so drizzle with reckless abandon. Go ahead, live your best life.Print
- 1 loaf brioche
- 1 cup milk ((not non-fat))
- ½ cup heavy cream (`)
- 4 eggs, (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- powdered sugar
- maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Slice brioche into ½” thick slices.
- Spray a standard-sized loaf pan with baking spray or line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, cream, eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract, cinnamon, vanilla bean powder, and kosher salt.
- Dip brioche into egg mixture, thoroughly coating each side, then place standing up in the loaf pan. Repeat until all bread is coated. You could also lay the bread flat in a baking dish and pour the egg mixture on top. Either way, don’t leave the bread soaking for more than a minute or two. Brioche is extremely light and delicate, and additional time will cause it to fall apart.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then top with slivered almonds. Return to oven and cook for 5 minutes more, or until lightly golden brown on top and eggs has formed a thin crust on the bread. Cool for 10-15 minutes, then serve with powdered sugar and maple syrup.
*If you can’t find vanilla bean powder, simply omit and increase vanilla extract to 1 Tbsp.