Green Goddess Sandwich With Pan Fried Halloumi
This quick, flavorful Green goddess sandwich is the lunch of our dreams! It’s got a homemade creamy Green goddess dressing made with lots of fresh, vibrant herbs, salty, pan fried halloumi cheese, and a thick layer of ripe avocado and lettuce.
It’s easy enough for a working lunch, but tastes so good you’ll want to serve it to friends and family! Assemble to order so the bread stays fresh without weighing down, and have extra veggies or crudité on standby to use up every last bit of that glorious homemade dressing!
A veggie sandwich never looked so good!
Simple Ingredients, Big Flavor
- Your favorite sandwich bread (we’re using whole wheat sliced bread, can’t go wrong!)
- A ripe avocado
- An English cucumber, thinly sliced
- Micro greens and butter lettuce (though any lettuce can be subbed!)
- Halloumi cheese, preferably pan seared or grilled
You’ll also want to make or buy Green goddess dressing, which can be used for everything from sandwiches and salads to a simple dip for crudité or crackers. Basically, you’ll devour a big batch easily!
What Is Green Goddess Dressing?
While traditional Green goddess dressing is made solely with a mayonnaise base, ours uses a combination of mayo and whole milk Greek yogurt. Add lots of finely chopped fresh herbs — basil, parsley, chives, and tarragon! — then finish with sherry vinegar, lemon zest, capers, Kosher salt, and black pepper.
Homemade Green goddess dressing will keep for 5 days in a fridge. Have leftovers? Consider making this Green goddess chicken, which looks unbelievable.
How To Cook Halloumi Cheese
This is the best part of the sandwich, in our opinion! Halloumi cheese has a similar texture to packaged mozzarella, but a salty flavor similar to feta. The appeal of halloumi (other than the taste, of course) is that it maintains its shape, even when cooked! So you can pan sear or grill halloumi and use it to bulk up the protein in sandwiches, salads, or a variety of other dishes without it melting completely. It’s a seriously fabulous cheese!
If you love halloumi as much as we do, be sure to check out our Everything Chopped Salad with Roasted Shrimp and Halloumi! It starts with a pre-packaged Taylor Farms salad kit, but takes it to another level entirely.
As with any veggie sandwich, the possibilities are endless! We recommend a few rules for constructing a perfect Green goddess sandwich:
- Spread dressing on both sides! Even if you end up using another herby dressing, just schmear it on both sides of bread to keep everything moist and flavorful.
- You can use different herbs! One of the best things about Green goddess dressing is how adaptable it is to a variety of herbs: basil, mint, tarragon, chives, oregano, thyme, chervil, sage — all would be fabulous in this dressing!
- Any lettuce will work! Bibb lettuce, butter lettuce, crunchy Romaine, arugula, spinach, etc. And the same goes for micro greens! We’re partial to the spicier arugula micro greens, but kale, broccoli, or a blend are great too.
- Add your favorite raw vegetables! Bell peppers, grated carrots, thick slices of tomato. Whatever you love most can and should be added — just don’t get rid of that pan seared halloumi!
Sometimes you just need a big sandwich for lunch, and this one does not disappoint! If you make this Green Goddess Sandwich, please let us know by leaving a review and rating below!
And make sure to sign up for our newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more Well Seasoned recipes! DON’T FORGET to tag us on social channels when you make a recipe at #wellseasonedstudio !! We LOVE seeing what you’re up to in the kitchen!
More sandwich recipes to try!
- California Club
- Sourdough Grilled Cheese
- Chicken Pesto Panini
- Crab Cake Sandwich
- Deconstructed Falafel Sandwich
Green Goddess Sandwich
- Food processor fitted with blade attachment
- Medium nonstick skillet
For the Green goddess dressing
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- ¼ cup parsley
- ¼ cup chives
- 3 Tbsp tarragon
- 1 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- ½ lemon zested and juiced
- 2 tsp capers drained
- ½ tsp Kosher salt plus more for seasoning avocado
- A pinch freshly ground black pepper
For the sandwich
- 4 slices bread
- 1 medium avocado peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ English cucumber thinly sliced
- Butter lettuce
- 8 oz Halloumi cut into ¼" thick slices
- Make the Green goddess dressing. Combine all dressing ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with blade attachment. Process until very smooth, then set aside.
- Cook the halloumi. Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced halloumi then cook 1-2 minutes per side, until golden brown. Remove from the heat and transfer to a plate.
- Assemble the sandwich. Spread an even layer of dressing on two slices of bread. Top one piece with sliced avocado, then sprinkle lightly with Kosher salt. Add sliced cucumber, micro greens, seared halloumi, and butter lettuce. Top the sandwich with second slice of bread. Serve immediately!
- Nutrition facts include all of the dressing, however you will likely have leftovers for additional sandwiches.
- Use as much halloumi cheese as you like! Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and either reheated in a microwave or skillet or eaten room temperature or cold.