Deconstructed Falafel Sandwich Is Our Go-To Lunch
We’re just going to say it: this falafel sandwich is lunch goals!
Falafel is a favorite in our house, but we don’t always feel like deep-frying. It’s not healthy and it takes a while. Which is partially why we are head over heels in love with this sandwich. It’s deconstructed, but hits on all the same flavors found in homemade falafel mix. It’s love at first bite, no skillet with oil, no oven, and no baking required!
Why do we love it so much?
- Chickpeas are high in protein, so it fills you up!
- Instead of soaking dried chickpeas overnight, we used canned chickpeas, meaning this is quick and easy, as well as economical. Love an affordable, healthy lunch option!
- The creamy Greek yogurt sauce is tangy and comes together in minutes. We love the contrast of the creamy yogurt with the smashed chickpeas. Yum!
- Crunch! Using raw, fresh vegetables adds a much needed crunch, giving this falafel sandwich pretty much the most amazing texture ever.
If you’ve been searching for a healthy, nutritious, flavor-packed lunch, this easy sandwich has your name written all over it.
Ingredients For Deconstructed Falafel Sandwich
Thisdeconstructed falafel recipe is so simple to make. You’ll need canned chickpeas, a drizzle of red wine vinegar, fresh herbs, spices, Greek yogurt, and your favorite veggies for topping the sandwich.
We recommend using fresh dill and mint, but the homemade Greek yogurt sauce is super forgiving and takes well to many different fresh herbs. Use what you’ve got (fresh parsley, chives, cilantro chervil — all delicious here)! Prefer tahini sauce or hummus? You can absolutely use those in place of the Greek yogurt sauce.
You could absolutely soak dried chickpeas overnight and use this in this sandwich, but canned chickpeas are just so much easier. We always have them in our pantry, too (have you noticed how much protein is in chickpeas?! it’s a lot!), so it’s easy to make this falafel sandwich on a whim!
If you have dried chickpeas to use up, checkout our chickpea patties — they’re shallow fried falafel patties (instead of deep-fried) and are our go-to for homemade falafel pita sandwiches.
How To Make A Falafel Sandwich
- Mash the chickpeas. Place chickpeas in a bowl, then use the back of a fork to mash together with red wine vinegar. Seriously, no need to dirty up the food processor for this one!
- Mix in the herbs. Add fresh dill, cumin, chopped shallot, salt, and black pepper. Taste, adjust seasoning, then set aside.
- Make the Greek yogurt sauce. Stir together the Greek yogurt, fresh mint, dill, and lemon juice. This tangy yogurt sauce is so delicious!!
- Assemble the sandwich. Spread a little Greek yogurt sauce on one slice of bread, then spoon on a thick layer of mashed chickpeas. Pile the sandwich high with sliced veggies, then season with salt and pepper.
While we use a high quality whole wheat bread, you could easily build this sandwich stuffed into pita pockets instead. If you can get your hands on some freshly baked Israeli pita bread, even better!
This falafel sandwich typically lasts about 5 minutes before it magically disappears. It’s so weird.
Any Way To Make This Sandwich Gluten-Free?
Absolutely! For a gluten-free falafel sandwich, just use your favorite gluten-free bread or serve it as a salad over some mixed greens. If you’ve got larger lettuce leaves, you can build a lettuce falafel wrap of sorts.
Chickpeas are gluten-free, so no issue there. Just sub in your favorite GF bread!
Do I Have To Use Fresh Herbs?
We strongly recommend it. If you sub dried herbs in the raw falafel mixture and the Greek yogurt sauce, your sandwich will be a little crunchy and not as flavorful.
Stick with fresh if you’re able to!
Can I Make A Falafel Sandwich In Advance?
Yes, but you’ll want to wait until you’re ready to eat your sandwich to assemble it.
If you assemble the entire sandwich too early, the bread becomes soggy and the whole sandwich falls apart when you go to eat it. If you want to make this homemade falafel sandwich in advance, prep the ingredients separately then store in different containers until you’re ready to assemble.
Tips For Making The Best Falafel Sandwich
- We prefer using non-fat Greek yogurt for this recipe because it’s super tangy and thick, which makes it easier to use as a spread. Double check that your yogurt is unflavored and unsweetened, as that would drastically alter the flavor of your sandwich (and not in a good way!).
- Use your favorite veggies to bulk up the falafel sandwich. We like the contrast of juicy tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers, and creamy avocado, but the raw falafel mash pairs well with pretty much any veggie.
There is so much to love in this falafel sandwich, but the best thing by far is the flavor. The next time you’re craving homemade falafel, but don’t want to dig out a deep fryer or have the kitchen smell like oil, give this a try and we promise it’ll up your lunch game for good!
Love Middle Eastern flavors? Check out our roasted butternut squash with za’atar or Turkish eggs with herbed yogurt — both major crowd pleasers! We also love serving this recipe with homemade toum, which instantly adds flavor to any dish!
If you make this Deconstructed Falafel Sandwich recipe, please let us know by leaving a review and rating below.
And make sure to sign up for our newsletter and follow along on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Pinterest, and Facebook for more Well Seasoned recipes! DON’T FORGET to tag us on social channels when you make a recipe at #wellseasonedstudio !! We LOVE seeing what you’re up to in the kitchen!
For more easy lunch recipes, check out the following:
- Turkey burgers with apple cabbage slaw
- Shredded brussel sprout salad (with Caesar dressing)
- Marinated white bean salad with tuna
- Old Bay shrimp
- Garlic Spinach and White Beans
Deconstructed Falafel Sandwich
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot thinly sliced (or about 2 Tbsp red onion, minced)
- ½ cup dill chopped, divided
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt divided
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mint chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ – 1 cup arugula micro greens or your favorite salad greens
- ½ large avocado thinly sliced
- ½ English cucumber sliced into ⅛" thick slices
- 1 large heirloom tomato sliced into ⅛" thick slices
- 4 slices of your favorite bread (I use oatmeal bread for this sandwich, LOVE the texture!)
- In a small bowl, combine chickpeas and red wine vinegar, then mash with the back of a fork until about ⅔ are mashed. Add shallot, ¼ cup dill, cumin, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper, then stir to combine. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine Greek yogurt, mint, ¼ cup dill, and lemon juice. Stir to combine, then set aside.
- Lay out for slices of bread. Spread yogurt mixture equally onto each piece. On two halves, add a thick layer of mashed chickpeas. Top with sliced avocado, cucumbers, and tomatoes, then season each half with ¼ teaspoon kosher salt or a couple pinches of maldon sea salt. Place remaining slice of bread on top, then slice in half and serve immediately.
- Feel free to use different herbs — parsley and cilantro are great options!
- Do not prep sandwiches more than a half hour in advance or the bread will become soggy.
- Confused about how to cut and peel an avocado? Check out our helpful guide!