This deconstructed falafel sandwich couldn’t be easier to make! It’s essentially smashed raw falafel topped with tangy yogurt sauce, greens, and veggies. It’s a quick and healthy lunch recipe you’re sure to love!
Okay, with all the baked goods I’ve been shoving in your face (and down our mouths) for the last month, I thought it was time for something lighter. Something a little more… green. This falafel sandwich is a game changer. So much so that, no joke, I have made it 5x in the last week. That’s a lot of veggie-forward lunches! It may not look like much, but my deconstructed falafel sandwich is the #lunchgoals your life has been missing, and your body will thank you for giving it the nutrients it craves.
What’s in this falafel sandwich?
How to make a falafel sandwich
Can I make this gluten-free?
Absolutely! For a gluten-free falafel sandwich, just use your favorite gluten-free bread. Or you could use big lettuce leaves to make this into a lettuce falafel wrap of sorts.
Do I have to use fresh herbs?
Most definitely. If you sub dried herbs in the raw falafel mixture and the yogurt sauce, your sandwich will be a little crunchy and not as flavorful. Totally not what you want!
Can I prep my falafel sandwich in advance?
Yes, but you’ll want to wait until you’re ready to eat your sandwich to assemble it. If you assemble the entire sandwich too early, the bread becomes soggy and the whole sandwich falls apart when you go to take a bite of it. If you want to make this homemade falafel sandwich in advance, I suggest prepping the ingredients separately and storing them in different containers until you’re ready to chow down.
Tips for making deconstructed falafel sandwiches
I prefer using non-fat Greek yogurt for this recipe because it’s super tangy and thick, which makes it easier to use as a spread. Double check that your yogurt is unflavored and unsweetened, as that would drastically alter the flavor of your sandwich (and not in a good way!).
Also, feel free to use your favorite veggies on your falafel sandwich. I like the contrast of juicy tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers, and creamy avocado, but the raw falafel mash pairs well with pretty much any veggie.
If you make my deconstructed falafel sandwich, please let me know by leaving a review below!
For additional easy lunch recipes, check out the following:
Deconstructed falafel sandwich
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot thinly sliced (or about 2 Tbsp red onion, minced)
- ½ cup dill chopped, divided
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt divided
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mint chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ – 1 cup arugula micro greens or your favorite salad greens
- ½ large avocado thinly sliced
- ½ English cucumber sliced into ⅛" thick slices
- 1 large heirloom tomato sliced into ⅛" thick slices
- 4 slices of your favorite bread (I use oatmeal bread for this sandwich, LOVE the texture!)
- In a small bowl, combine chickpeas and red wine vinegar, then mash with the back of a fork until about ⅔ are mashed. Add shallot, ¼ cup dill, cumin, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper, then stir to combine. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine Greek yogurt, mint, ¼ cup dill, and lemon juice. Stir to combine, then set aside.
- Lay out for slices of bread. Spread yogurt mixture equally onto each piece. On two halves, add a thick layer of mashed chickpeas. Top with sliced avocado, cucumbers, and tomatoes, then season each half with ¼ teaspoon kosher salt or a couple pinches of maldon sea salt. Place remaining slice of bread on top, then slice in half and serve immediately.