Deconstructed falafel sandwich (on my new favorite bread!)
With all the baked goods I’ve been shoving in your face (and down our mouths) for the last month, it was time for something lighter. Something a little more… green. This sandwich is so unlike me — uh hi, it’s vegetarian! — but it’s a game changer. So much so that, no joke, I have made it 5x in the last week. That’s a lot of veggie-forward lunches! It may not look like much, but my deconstructed falafel sandwich is the #lunchgoals your life has been missing, and your body will thank you for giving it the nutrients it craves.
Can we take one minute to discuss the wonder that is arugula micro greens? They were made for this. Crisp, delicate, and, equally important, they photograph well. A stylist’s dream! Don’t be fooled by their beauty, though — they pack a punch and are the perfect contrast to the sweet and tangy yogurt sauce. Choose any micro greens you want, but personally I adore arugula.
Maldon sea salt not optional. But sharing is…
This is hearty, healthy, and honestly just feel good food. I need more of that in my life. And more of this bread! I know that Whole Foods occasionally warrants the nickname “Whole Paycheck,” but I really love some of their products. For instance, this Steel Cut Oat bread (which you can pick up alongside their other pre-sliced breads, not those found in the deli) is my current favorite. It’s everything I want from a whole wheat bread, without chewing on all the seeds. Seriously, I hate that. But the steel cut oat is flavorful, crisps up like a dream for my daily avocado toast, and is beyond perfect for this sandwich. I love it.
So do yourself a solid and run up to the store — you need these basic pantry staples on hand at all times so when the craving strikes, you’re prepared.
Okay, brb, gotta go get my fix.Print
Deconstructed falafel sandwich
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 sandwiches 1x
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, (rinsed)
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot, (thinly sliced)
- ½ cup chopped dill, (divided)
- ½ tsp cumin
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ – 1 cup arugula micrgo greens ((or any salad greens))
- ½ large avocado, (thinly sliced)
- ½ English cucumber, (sliced into ⅛” thick slices)
- 1 large heirloom tomato, (sliced into ⅛” thick slices)
- 4 slices of your favorite bread ((I use steel cut oat bread from Whole Foods))
- In a small bowl, combine chickpeas and red wine vinegar, then mash with the back of a fork until about ⅔ are mashed. Add shallot, ¼ cup dill, cumin, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper, then stir to combine. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine Greek yogurt, mint, ¼ cup dill, and lemon juice. Stir to combine, then set aside.
- Lay out for slices of bread. Spread yogurt mixture equally onto each piece. On two halves, add a thick layer of mashed chickpeas. Top with sliced avocado, cucumbers, and tomatoes, then season each half with ¼ teaspoon kosher salt or a couple pinches of maldon sea salt. Place remaining slice of bread on top, then slice in half and serve immediately.
Do not prep sandwiches more than a half hour in advance or the bread will become soggy.
Feel free to use different herbs — parsley and cilantro are great options!