This pecan chicken salad is the stuff of dreams! It is hands down our favorite way to enjoy leftover rotisserie chicken, and the absolute perfect side dish for cookouts, picnics, and summer barbecues.
Here’s why we love it so much:
- Easy and no cook! There’s so much to love about a store-bought rotisserie chicken, but the fact that you get juicy, flavorful meat without turning on the oven is a selling point every single time. Rotisserie chicken salad for the win!
- Lighter and healthier than a typical chicken salad because it’s made with Greek yogurt and not just mayo!
- Sweet grapes add a refreshing, juicy burst of flavor that lightens up the whole chicken salad!
- Pecans and poppy seeds add crunch! Gotta have that contrast in texture!
- Fresh herbs! The tarragon and chives give our chicken salad its signature flavor.
One bite and you’ll never want to make chicken salad any other way again!
- Dressing made from a mix of: Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, and apple cider vinegar
- Rotisserie chicken
- Red grapes
- Seasoning: Poppy seeds, Kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh herbs: scallions, tarragon, and chives
How To Make The Best Chicken Salad
- Mix wet ingredients and seasonings. Combine FAGE Total Plain Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, tarragon, chives, Kosher salt, and black pepper in a large mixing bowl, then whisk to combine.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Add chicken, grapes, pecans, and poppy seeds, then stir until evenly mixed. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
It’s just that simple! Our favorite way to serve pecan chicken salad? On a salad (arugula or baby spinach are fantastic), in a wrap or sandwich, or with crackers. Seriously, put out a big bowl at your next summer cookout and watch this salad disappear!
If there is a lunch option more delicious than a chicken salad sandwich on a croissant, we dare you to tell us what it is!
For another amazing chicken salad recipe, be sure to try our Curried Chicken Salad next!
Variations On Pecan Chicken Salad
- In place of pecans, use any of the following nuts: walnuts, toasted pine nuts, slivered almonds, or pistachios.
- Don’t have grapes? Try using diced apple instead! Or add dried fruit, such as cranberries, raisins, or cut up apricots. (If possible, please, please make this with grapes first!! It’s the best!)
- Making a big batch of grilled chicken? Use the leftovers in place of a rotisserie chicken and make grilled chicken salad. Even better if you’ve got smoked chicken – yum!
For additional flavor, try picking up a flavored rotisserie chicken next time you’re at the store! Whatever you do, just don’t leave out the fresh tarragon — it makes the salad!
How To Serve
Here’s a quick round up of some of our favorite summer cookout side dishes:
But keep in mind, this will be the star of the show!
For dessert, we love serving something cool and creamy: either key lime cheesecake parfaits or blueberry pie ice cream!
FAQs About Pecan Chicken Salad
- Can you freeze chicken salad? Yes! When stored in an airtight, freezer-safe container in the freezer, pecan chicken salad (or any chicken salad) will keep for up to 3 months. We recommend eating it fresh, however, as some of the flavor can become diluted during extended periods of freezing.
- Is chicken salad healthy? We use a combination of Greek yogurt and mayonnaise to lighten up the salad, making it healthier than a full-on mayonnaise-based salad. You can absolutely use all yogurt, but it might be too tangy. If you do this, add a little sugar to balance out the flavors and sweeten the salad a bit.
- How long does chicken salad last? This will keep 3-5 days when stored properly in a refrigerator. Perfect to make ahead for weekly lunch / meal prep!
- Can I used canned chicken? Yes, but we really recommend a rotisserie chicken. If using canned, use the same quantity (about ~2 cups of chicken), but make sure to drain well first.
- Is chicken salad keto friendly? Yes, this is a keto chicken salad recipe!
- I like spicy chicken salad. Any flavor suggestions to kick up the heat? For sure try Ina’s curried chicken salad or buffalo chicken salad. For the latter, use the filling from our buffalo chicken stuffed peppers, and instead of baking it, just serve it cold or at room temperature with blue cheese mixed in. Easy, packs a punch, and so delicious!
We love, love, love this Greek yogurt chicken salad, especially with those crunchy pecans and sweet grapes! Not only is it flavorful and hearty, but it is super easy to meal prep and make at the start of the week. Aren’t those kind of recipes the best? Lunch made easy? We certainly think so.
If you make our Pecan Chicken Salad, please let us know by leaving a review and rating below!
And make sure to sign up for our newsletter and follow along on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Pinterest, and Facebook for more Well Seasoned recipes! DON’T FORGET to tag us on social channels when you make a recipe at #wellseasonedstudio !! We LOVE seeing what you’re up to in the kitchen!
For more summer recipes, check out the following:
- Avocado Tomato Salad
- Crispy Grilled Chicken Wings
- Grilled Blackened Salmon with Pineapple-Avocado Salsa
- White Bean Salad With Tuna
- Mozzarella Caprese Gazpacho
Pecan Chicken Salad Recipe
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped tarragon
- 1 Tbsp chives thinly sliced
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 rotisserie chicken white meat only, pulled (about 2 cups), skin removed
- 2 cups seedless red grapes sliced in half
- ½ cup pecans roughly chopped
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Make the dressing. Combine FAGE Total Plain Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, tarragon, chives, Kosher salt, and black pepper in a large mixing bowl, then whisk to combine.
- Add remaining ingredients. Add chicken, grapes, pecans, and poppy seeds, then stir until evenly mixed. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serving suggestions: on a salad, in a wrap or sandwich, with crackers!
Let us know your thoughts!