Why We Love This Summer Salad
My obsession with both avocados and heirloom tomatoes is widely accepted in our family. Whenever my kids come downstairs and see me enjoying tomato toast, they simply roll their eyes and sigh, “Again, mom?”
Yes! Avocado tomato salad is just another excuse for me to eat two of my favorite summer produce in excess, and I for one don’t feel the least bit bad about it. Other reasons to love this salad?
- It takes 10 minutes or less to prep.
- No cook!
- Is light, flavorful, and refreshing
- Creamy from the avocado and ripe tomato, yet crunchy from the scallions
- Avocado tomato salad is Whole30 compliant, dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan!
Ingredients for Avocado Tomato Salad
So simple, you only need a few key ingredients!
- 2 ripe heirloom tomatoes — The tomatoes should be slightly soft when you give them a gentle squeeze. Heirloom tomatoes are best during the warmer months, so stock up while you can!
- 2 ripe avocados — The avocado should give a little when you press on it. If it’s mushy, it’s bad. If it’s completely hard and firm, it needs a few more days to ripen.
- 1 scallion — Thinly sliced, this will add a more delicate onion flavor than adding, well, an onion! Love the crunch this adds!
- A high quality extra virgin olive oil — yes, this can be expensive to keep on hand! But trust me, when you’re using so few ingredients, and especially when serving recipes that are no cook, go for the nice stuff. It’ll pay off in terms of flavor!
- Flaky sea salt — We often recommend kosher salt, but here, we absolutely love the texture that using flaky sea salt adds. We exclusively use Maldon!
- Freshly ground black pepper
Place ripe avocados in the drawer in your refrigerator to keep them perfectly ripe a few days longer!
How to Make Avocado Tomato Salad
The prep time for this avocado salad recipe as 10 minutes, but that is being highly cautious. Check out this guide on how to cut an avocado!
Place chopped tomatoes, avocado, and scallion in a large bowl. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, then season with flaky salt and pepper. Toss to combine, sprinkle with a bit more salt, then give it a taste!
Serve at room temperature or place in a refrigerator for a quick 30 minutes. Either way, don’t let this sit too long, or the avocado will oxidize and turn brown.
If making this ahead of time, give the avocado a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or lime juice to keep them from turning brown a bit longer!
What to Serve with Tomato Avocado Salad
This will make either 2 large servings or 4 small servings, so you can mix and match whether this is a side salad, appetizer, or main!
We often enjoy this avocado salad recipe alongside fried eggs for breakfast!
For lunch or dinner, we serve this with our well loved grilled chicken wings or slow baked salmon (you’ve never had salmon this good, pinky promise!). Also, if you are obsessed with heirloom tomatoes like us, try this super easy mozzarella caprese gazpacho!
Variations on Avocado Salad
The possibilities here are endless. Here are just a few other ingredients that would totally shine in this healthy salad recipe!
- Roasted or grilled shrimp
- Basil, mint, or dill
- Black beans
- Red onion (if you want a more intense flavor than the scallions provide)
Keep the dressing super simple with a drizzle of high quality extra virgin. You could add dijon, oregano, or balsamic to the mix and toss too!
It’s an incredibly adaptable (and forgiving) summer salad!
Paired down, simple, and minimalist — this is exactly why we know you’ll love this salad so much. Great for dining solo and a dream for prepping when you’re entertaining! Don’t forget that extra sprinkle of sea salt. It makes all the difference in the world!
If you make this Avocado Tomato Salad, please let me know by leaving a rating and review below.
And make sure to sign up for our newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more Well Seasoned recipes! DON’T FORGET to tag us on social channels when you make a recipe at #wellseasonedstudio !!
For more summer favorites, check out the following:
- Watermelon salad with feta and basil
- Crispy grilled chicken wings recipe
- Homemade lamb burgers with tzatziki and pickled red onions
- Tomato confit with garlic
- Easy grilled lobster tails and clams
Avocado Tomato Salad
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes cut into ½" chunks
- 2 medium avocados pitted and cubed
- 1 large scallion thinly sliced
- 1 ½ Tbsp high quality extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp flaky sea salt plus more for serving
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl combine tomatoes, avocado, and sliced scallion. Drizzle with olive oil, flaky sea salt, and black pepper, then toss to combine. Sprinkle with a touch more flaky sea salt just before serving. Makes 2 large portions or 4 smaller side portions.
- Avocado will oxidize and turn brown the longer it sits out. I do not recommend making this more than 1 hour in advance unless you toss the avocado first with a squeeze of lemon juice or lime juice.
- Other great additions to avocado tomato salad: shrimp, corn, cucumbers, black beans, basil, or quinoa!