If you’re looking for a healthy, quick summer recipe, this avocado tomato salad is a game changer! Three simple ingredients get tossed with olive oil, salt, and pepper, making this the easiest appetizer or side salad ever! This summer salad is Whole30, gluten free, and totally healthy. You’ll make it every single week!
My obsession with both avocados and heirloom tomatoes is widely accepted in our family. Whenever my kids come downstairs and see me enjoying tomato toast, they simply roll their eyes and sigh, “Again, mom?”
YES. Avocado tomato salad is just another excuse for me to eat two of my favorite summer produce in excess, and I for one don’t feel the least bit bad about it.
Ingredients for avocado tomato salad
This list is embarrassingly simple. Other than the staple ingredients in every single one of my recipes (olive oil, s+p), you need three simple items.
- 2 ripe heirloom tomatoes — By ripe, I mean that they should be slightly soft when you give them a gentle squeeze. Heirloom tomatoes are best during the warmer months, so stock up while you can!
- 2 ripe avocados — Similarly to the tomatoes, you’re looking for the avocado to give a little when you press on it. If it’s mushy, it’s gone bad. If it’s completely hard and firm, it needs a few more days to ripen.
- 1 scallion — Thinly sliced, this will add a more delicate onion flavor than adding, well, an onion! Love the bite this gives!
- A high quality extra virgin olive oil — I know, I know. It’s expensive to keep this stuff on hand! But trust me, when you’re using so few ingredients, and especially when serving recipes that are no cook, I always go for the nice stuff. It’ll pay off in terms of flavor!
- Flaky sea salt — I often recommend kosher salt, but here, I absolutely love the texture that using flaky sea salt adds. I recommend Maldon!
- Freshly ground black pepper
Place ripe avocados in the drawer in your refrigerator to keep them perfectly ripe a few days longer!
How to make avocado tomato salad
I listed the prep time for this avocado salad recipe as 10 minutes, but that is being highly cautious. If you are familiar with how to slice an avocado and can chop the 3 ingredients quickly, you’ll have this on the table in 5 minutes!
Place chopped tomatoes, avocado, and scallion in a large bowl. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, then season with flaky salt and pepper. Toss to combine, sprinkle with a bit more salt, then give it a taste!
You can serve this immediately at room temperature or place in the refrigerator for a quick 30 minutes. Either way, don’t let this sit too long, or the avocado will oxidize and turn brown.
If making this ahead of time, give the avocado a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice to keep them from turning brown a bit longer!
What to serve with with tomato avocado salad
This will make either 2 large servings or 4 smaller servings, so you can mix and match whether this is a side salad, appetizer, or main!
I will admit, the first time I made this it was alongside some fried eggs for my husband and I. So , YES, you can make this avocado salad recipe for breakfast!
For lunch or dinner, I like to serve this with my well loved grilled chicken wings or alongside slow baked salmon (you’ve never had salmon this good, pinky promise!). Also, if you are obsessed with heirloom tomatoes like me, try this super easy mozzarella caprese gazpacho!
Variations on avocado salad
The possibilities here are endless. Here are just a few other ingredients that would totally shine in this healthy salad recipe!
- Roasted or grilled shrimp
- Basil, mint, or dill
- Black beans
- Red onion (if you want a more intense flavor than the scallions provide)
I could go on and on! And as far as a dressing? I like to keep it super simple with just a drizzle of high quality extra virgin, but you could add dijon, oregano, or balsamic to the mix and toss it all together. It’s an incredibly adaptable (and forgiving) summer avocado tomato salad!
So yeah, there’s not much to this recipe. It’s paired down, simple, and minimalist. But that’s exactly why I think you’ll love it so much. It’s great for dining solo and a dream for prepping when you’re entertaining! Don’t forget that extra sprinkle of sea salt. It makes all the difference in the world!
If you make this Avocado Tomato Salad, please let me know by leaving a rating and review below.
And make sure to sign up for my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more Well Seasoned recipes! DON’T FORGET to tag me on social channels when you make a recipe at #wellseasonedstudio !!
For more summer favorites, check out the following:
Avocado Tomato Salad
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes cut into ½" chunks
- 2 medium avocados pitted and cubed
- 1 large scallion thinly sliced
- 1 ½ Tbsp high quality extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp flaky sea salt plus more for serving
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl combine tomatoes, avocado, and sliced scallion. Drizzle with olive oil, flaky sea salt, and black pepper, then toss to combine. Sprinkle with a touch more flaky sea salt just before serving. Makes 2 large portions or 4 smaller side portions.
- Avocado will oxidize and turn brown the longer it sits out. I do not recommend making this more than 1 hour in advance unless you toss the avocado first with a squeeze of lemon juice or lime juice.
- Other great additions to avocado tomato salad: shrimp, corn, cucumbers, black beans, basil, or quinoa!