Let’s get one thing straight: cooking lobster tails and clams is on a grill is the easiest way to prepare these ingredients.
Whether you’re cooking on gas, charcoal, or (my favorite!) a smoker, such as Traeger, the only thing you need other than the seafood is olive oil, salt, and pepper. Melted butter is optional, but so so worth it.
Best Way To Cook Lobster Tails On The Grill
Smoked lobster tails are crazy simple.
- Brush each with about ½ – 1 tablespoon of olive oil, then sprinkle on a tiny bit of salt and pepper (they don’t need much!).
- Place lobster tails directly on the grill, meat side down, then cook until they turn pink and reach an internal temperature of 140 F, about 10 minutes.
The directions are the same whether you’re cooking on a gas grill or a smoker. However, if you’re using a charcoal grill, prepare the tails in the same way, then grill for 4-5 minutes per side over direct medium heat. Easy!
We recommend the Thermapen MK4 to check for doneness on all meats!
Sides To Serve With Smoked Lobster Tail
We keep the sides very simple: grilled corn, your favorite cole slaw, and a cold beverage. Oh, and our confit tomatoes – always!!
Let the grilled lobster tails shine on their own!
Can You Grill Frozen Lobster Tails?
I would strongly recommend NOT grilling frozen lobster tails. It will destroy the texture and they will end up chewy. Also, you run the risk of the inside remaining raw or undercooked while the outside overcooks. If you’re going to use frozen lobster tails, let them thaw overnight in a refrigerator before cooking.
Grilled Clam Recipe
Smoked clams are just as simple as smoked or grilled lobster tails, except they cook up quicker! Place whole clams (sealed!! throw away any that are open!) directly on the grates of your gas, smoker, or charcoal grill and close the lid. Cook until clams open up, about 5-8 minutes, then carefully use tongs to transfer to a serving platter.
When your seafood is ready to go, serve ’em up on a big plate with melted butter on the side. Perfect summer cookout food! Don’t forget the ice cold rosé!
If you make Grilled Lobster Tails and Clams, please let me know by leaving a review below!
And make sure to sign up for our newsletter and follow along on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Pinterest, and Facebook for more Well Seasoned recipes! DON’T FORGET to tag us on social channels when you make a recipe at #wellseasonedstudio !! We LOVE seeing what you’re up to in the kitchen!
For more simple grilled recipes, check out the following:
- Crispy grilled chicken wings
- Grilled romaine with pumpernickel croutons and lemon caesar vinaigrette
- Spatchcock chicken
- Grilled blackened salmon with pineapple avocado salsa
- Ultimate black bean burgers
- Grilled peach salad
Grilled Lobster Tails and Clams Recipe
- 2 lobster tails
- 1 lbs clams throw away any that are open
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat grill to 450 F.
- Season tails with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place tails meat side down on grate and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 140 F. Serve immediately with melted butter.
- Meanwhile, place clams directly on grates, then cook 5-8 minutes, or just until they open. Serve immediately with melted butter.